1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

carb size question

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Garet, Jul 26, 2001.

1. Garet

Garet Senior Member

Is a Carter 600 CFM carb good for a stock Chevy 350? I hear that a 750 is a little too much. What do you all run?
  2. raceman6135

raceman6135 Member

Hey Garet:

I run a number of 350 Chevrolet small blocks that range from bone stock to quite heavily modified.

If you have performed only normal modifications, and by that I mean you are running no more than 9.5:1 compression ratio, slightly warmed over cam, dual plane intake, headers, ignition upgrade, etc, a 600 will work fine.

You can run a 750 cfm *IF* you have vacuum secondaries on it, but you should run a fairly tall gear (numerically high) to keep the air intake velocity up, otherwise the larger primaries on the 750 will kill your low rpm torque.

If you calculate the cfm requirements, based on 80% volumetric efficiency, a 570 cfm carburetor is perfect for a 350 cubic inch engine. That makes the 600 just right in 95% of the cases. (Sorry, I can't remember the exact formula, but I remember the answer!)

Just my opinion...

3. Garet

Garet Senior Member

right now

Right now I have headers, HEI ignition, RV CAM, stock heads(but apparently they are the better of the stock ones), good exhaust, weiand action plus intake, 4.10 gearing. I should do well with a 600 then.

thx raceman
  4. raceman6135

raceman6135 Member

No problem, bud. I try to help whenever possible.

I should round up all the parts I've broken and wrecked over the years from the mistakes I made when I just went off without any help, take a picture and post it here!

Nah, it would have to be a *series* of pictures and take up WAY too much bandwidth! LOL

5. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

A 600 is the ideal carb for a sreet driven 350.The only time you need more,is if you have headwork,and the cam setup to pull over 6500RPM's.
  6. Garet

Garet Senior Member

Sweet Nova by the way :) If only I had the money...