1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

carb shooting gas

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by guilty1, Apr 21, 2002.

1. guilty1

guilty1 Junior Member

I have a '78 k10, 350, 4 barrel quadrajet....I recently put dual exhaust on it. I test drove it, when I was coming home it started running rough, stalled out. The only way to get it running was to hold it open while cranking. After starting, I had to hold it open until it "cleared out", for at least a min. If I let the RPM drop, I have to hold it open again. Also had trouble idling, when I first started it after installing duals...with the y-pipe connected, it idled pretty fast when warmed up, but the exhaust was practicaly off the right bank with 2 broken exhaust studs.

It is pouring gas out a angled tube (3/8 inch?) in the front of the carb, in the middle. What would cause this? There is also no vacuum canister, I believe this tube would go there. I am no carb master by a long shot, but I'd really appreciate some help. Thanx!
  2. Tommy10plows

Tommy10plows Senior Member

chevy carb

Sounds to me like your quadrajet float needle is stuck and is allowing fuel to percolate over and into the venturi tube.

Tap on the side of the carb where the floats are with the handle of a screwdriver and see if it stops flowing. if so, your float needle is sticking open and letting gas pour into the carb.

take the carb off and take it to somebody who knows carbs to get the float needle changed if you don't feel competant to do it.

The quadrajet is probably the best design and most troublefree carb ever to hit the market, easy to repair, and easy to care for. Beats a Holly or Carter any day!!!
  3. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

I agree with atommy,the float is likely stuck,you can pull the carb top off pretty easy if you have to,and check it out.The Q jet is a reliable carb,no doubt about it.
  4. guilty1

guilty1 Junior Member

I replaced the float. I am wandering what to set the float level at? I got it running, still doesn't idle, but it wasn't loading up and spill gas all over the intake. Anyway I ran out of daylight, today so I will mess with the idle screw tommorrow.