1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Carb Question

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Willie, Jan 22, 2005.

1. Willie

Willie Member

I have a 85 Chevy blazer K-5 5.7 auto with overdrive, 2 speed transfer case 4X4.
    I'm tiring to get a after market Edelbrock carb for it. The problem is when I try to look up which model the new carb is the numbers from the side of my carb don't come up. So I don't know if it's a model # 1903 or a model # 1904.
    The numbers on the side of my Carb are # 17085508 I found a site that cross references the numbers but the number from my carb is not listed. Any Ideas?
    Here's the site I found that cross reference's numbers.

http://www.carburetion.com/qjet_ref.htm

Any help at all would be great guys thanks.

Willie

2. SteveB(wi)

SteveB(wi) Member

'From the looks of the link you posted you just have to determine wether you have an electric choke or a hot air choke. An electric choke would have a wire and I believe a round black apparatus on the passenger side of the carb. A hot air choke would have some sort of tube to bring hot air to the choke to pull it off.

3. Willie

Willie Member

Well the Carb on my truck has one electric wire going to the choke but has a heat riser going to the middle of the air cleaner assembly nose?

4. William B.

William B. Senior Member
    from S.E. IA

Then you have an electric choke. I can't remember specifically what the tube is for that goes to the air breather.

William

5. SteveB(wi)

SteveB(wi) Member

As said you have an electric choke and based on the info you provided #1904.
    I would also talk to Edelbrock and verify this. What's wrong with the factory quadra jet, you can probably get it rebuilt for a lot less than a new card. The heat riser brings warm air up anto the carb to help atomize the fuel. If everything is working right as things warm up a door in the air cleaner snorkel opens and lets in cold air and shuts the riser opening

6. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

Check with Jeg's. They can set you up with the right carb. You can also try to contact Carburetor Shop in Ontario Ca., about rebuilding or info. Your problem may be that you don't have the original carb or engine in that vehicle, if you got it used. I don't even see that number listed in the adjustment date sheet that comes with carb kits for the M4MC and M4ME. Is the number clear, are you sure it is not 17085408.

SteveB is correct on the other points and sounds like he knows his onions, so I'd follow his advice.

7. Willie

Willie Member

Guys what a F@#$ing nightmare this carb was only put on 85 Blazers and early model 86's. Street the adjustment date sheet is for a E4MED. You can't buy it new you can onld buy rebuilt ones. After having run a couple of Auto centers I'm very leery about putting a rebuilt Carb on my truck. But with the problems I'm having I have no choice. The fuel solenoid is going bad the choke is toast. So I said screw it and bought the reconditioned carb. I use my truck to haul water for my house with a trailer 425 gallons (3400 lbs) at a time.It's only about 10 miles round trip but on average I make about 12 trips a month. I've been doing it for about a year now and the engine is finally starting to wear out (I think it has 175,00 on it) I have about 15 pounds of oil pressure at fwy speeds and about 0 at cruse. So to fill you guys in I bought a motor here.....http://www.powerpro2000.com/index.htm.... Then I picked the performance one for the extra horse power. http://www.powerpro2000.com/performance_one.htm and because of the heavy towing I do. Now the Carb the best place I could find with the longest warranty was ...http://carburetorexchange.com/... So I"m out a few thousand. ANd yah it hurts. But I love my Blazer and that dam thing will climb a tree. I'll let you know how it comes out. It's next weeks project. Wish me luck. Thanks for your help and in put.
    Willie

8. SteveB(wi)

SteveB(wi) Member

Here is the motor I put in my truck, '76 K-20 a couple of years ago. So far it has been good to me. I did have to rejet the carb afterward to pass emissions. I had to put in bigger jets and make it run fatter, go figure.

http://www.greenwoodchevy.com/engine14.htm

9. Willie

Willie Member

Well sorry it took so long to up date you guys but I've been hell of busy. Got the truck done runs like a rabid ass ape now. Lots more power. I'm real happy I went the way I did. Thanks for all you imput guys.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2005