1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Car Wash Commercial Account

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by battags, Nov 22, 2004.

1. battags

battags Member

Well, I just picked up a string of car wash's in my area. The main one is right in the middle of my area and is open year round. It's a touchless 'tunnel' type and can even wash my truck with the plow and spreader still on!

Anyway, the owners signed a commitment to $45 per push with a 2" trigger depth. They will be salting on their own. I was offered a chance to barter some pushes in exchange for free washes, but I'm not sure about accepting.

This deal would be 'off the books', so to speak. Their 'Ultimate' wash usually costs $12 in the winter and the idea of keeping a clean rig has always been a goal, but an up hill struggle for me. I just have the feeling that this bartering thing could go bad. Any thoughts?

2. kl0an

kl0an Senior Member

Bartering is a great way of doing things.. I have one customer that wanted to trade me a truck for my services.. Of course it needs lots of body work but, it's 4wd and it runs.. I'm a sucker for good trading..
  3. Ian03

Ian03 Senior Member

Thats a little sketchy. If it's one of those electronic ones and he gave you a free code and no limit on number of washes then maybe, but I would still bill him for the other ones. Only do the swap for that particular car wash.

That must be one ginormous car wash to swallow a full size truck, plow and spreader!!
  4. Young Pup

Young Pup PlowSite Fanatic

I see that you are up in N.E. Ohio. I would say if you are going to do it limit the free pushes to one or two a month. Depending on your snowfall but if you are around the Cleveland area you will ok with the amount of snow they get up around the lakeshore. Good luck.
  5. RidgeCon

RidgeCon Senior Member

I think you should have got him to get you to do the salting. We do a few auto, touchless car washes that stay open year round and when it gets cold we are there every day, somedays 2-3 times a day saling and sanding because the water coming out on the cars freezes at the exit as they turn away and the owner had too many cars running into each other or his building before we came on as the contractor so now he thinks this is good insurance. Good for us.
  6. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

Bartering could be worth it if you get a lot of snow just to keep your truck clean and looking good and get the salt off the undercarriage.I would do it if the option was there for me.
  7. DodgeBlizzard

DodgeBlizzard Senior Member

I had a question about salting lots at car washes. The ones around here, they never seem to salt unless it turns to ice and stays that way for several days. I know they recycle the water and wondered if they didn't salt due to that reason. But then again, the cars being washed are removing the road salt. I guess what I"m wondering is....how do they filter the salt from the water?
  8. battags

battags Member

Great question. I'm not really sure. I know that the car wash I plow pre-sprays all the cars with pressure washer by hand. Id imagine that this water run off is pretty much waste. I know that the water in the wash itself is recycled.

9. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

Many of the newer car washes around here are being built with radiant heat built into the concrete pad immediately surrounding the car wash where the water is collected and recycled. This eliminates the need for salt in those areas. However, the areas that are not heated are being salted because that water runoff is not being recycled. That os why most car washes are salting by hand around here because they don't want the salt contaminating the recycle process.
  10. jhoser_2000

jhoser_2000 Junior Member

car wash salt

the water is sent through about 5 different filters and cleaned by chlorine and something else i dont remeber and then it is ran through a water softener so u have soft water for no water spots
  11. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

Bartering has worked out great for me. I have traded plowing for reduced prices on several items from my local Tractor Supply. I would limit how many times I was my truck in sup freezing temps, You will end up with frozen doors, windows, and locks.....
  12. NNJSnow

NNJSnow Senior Member

I hope you have a good salt spreader, those places are salting security....your could salt those places all season. I know a guy that has one car wash, and as soon as it gets cold hes out every night layin down some salt from all the water the cars drag out.

13. lol, I do a car wash too and I thought of swaping some cash off my price for some free washes! I haven't asked though, maybe I should. :)
  14. logansdad

logansdad Junior Member

my bud does a party store for free beer it works out great... :dizzy: