1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Car Question: Clutch or Slave cylinder

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by chcav1218, Apr 2, 2010.

1. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

I have a 98 hyundai accent and I think either the clutch or the slave cylinder is gone. The clutch has no resistance, and it is not in gear. I checked the fluid in the reservoir and it was bone dry, but I refilled it and have not had any change. The car drove fine until it was parked one night and started the next day. Is it more likely to be the clutch or the cylinder thats broken? I am not sure how old the clutch is, I recently bought the car

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If it was out of fluid Chris then there's a leak in the system. And simply refilling it won't magically restore operation because it's now full of air so it will also need to be bled out (just like when you have a brake system open). You can bleed it first to see if the master and slave will work again but you also want to find the leak while you're in there. Usually on the Hyundai's it's the slave cylinder that dies completely or begins to leak so look it over closely around there. I think on the '98's they were external (I know the newer ones are) so checking and/or replacing it is a piece of cake if that's where the issue lies.

Doubt the clutch itself is in anyway related to the failure. The lack of fluid is the red flag that it's the actuating system that's the problem.

3. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

I was hoping for that type of asnwer! I'll pick up a new master cylinder and check all the lines. Thanks for the help!

4. plowking15

plowking15 Member

We just had same problem with a Kia,had to replace master cylinder and hydraulic line to slave cylinder. On some vehicles the clutch,brakes use the same resevoir. Some vehicles like Fords are suppose to be self bleeding,others may have to be bleed,usually takes two people unless you can get a bleeder kit that you pump while it is connected to bleeder. plowking

5. Reliable Snow and Ice

Reliable Snow and Ice Senior Member

you might also want to check out the clutch to see if there is any fluid on it... if so you will need to replace that as well....

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The slave cylinders are externally mounted on the Hyundia's, so there's no worry of it leaking fluid onto the clutch disc.

7. Reliable Snow and Ice

Reliable Snow and Ice Senior Member

yeah wasnt sure there on car's I'm a diesel mechanic so i wasnt sure