1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

cape cod mass. support group

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by jpunlimited, Nov 27, 2004.

1. jpunlimited

jpunlimited Senior Member

I know there are some from Cape Cod and more from Mass. I am just going to vent.....I am looking at the weather channel and it is rain. I am working a bid for a new business(rib joint) they say they have someone to plow it for $40 what a joke. after last winter the locals do not want to line up a plow. when it hits and it will. I want to charge this guy a hundred per hour!!! when it snows here they panic and buy water and bread.. sorry just had to vent.. :cry:

2. capt caper

capt caper Senior Member

My wife works at the Post Office here in Wareham. Last year on Dec. 5th we had the storm of a 1 ft. or so.

All the customers were screaming at here for their own incapability to remove the snow.

They have to remove the snow from mail boxes and are warned before the snow fly's via pamphlet's or they don't get a delivery.

The mail carriers can't get to the box's. Unless they use crampons and snowshoes. Which for them would be dangerous. Trying to climb around in traffic,etc. Not to mention they wouldn't get done til midnite.Being over developed here as it is makes it much worse.

This is a case where the customer isn't right.

Funny how they can't handle a storm like they get up North all the time.

3. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

sack up you folks from southern ma. I live out on Cape Ann, and we get alot of rain when it is snowing inland. Drives me crazy, but I know when to expect it at least.

4. jpunlimited

jpunlimited Senior Member

snow tires?

I can not even get my wife to get snow tires. most of the people around here have no Idea what the "S" in M+S stands for on the side wall. the mail boxes in wareham are exactly what I am talking about, I bet it will be no better this year. I came from just south of boston and moved to cape cod we prepared for some winter snow instead of using the what we going to do now plan. I plan to charge them dearly if they have no pryer arrangements made.

5. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

Do people really have that hard of a time dealing with snow on the cape? Its not like you guys never get it out there. Granted we got about 8X the amount of snow you got last year.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2004
  6. Kramer

Kramer Senior Member

My wife works at the Post Office here in Wareham. Last year on Dec. 5th we had the storm of a 1 ft. or so.

All the customers were screaming at here for their own incapability to remove the snow.

They have to remove the snow from mail boxes and are warned before the snow fly's via pamphlet's or they don't get a delivery.

The mail carriers can't get to the box's. Unless they use crampons and snowshoes. Which for them would be dangerous. Trying to climb around in traffic,etc. Not to mention they wouldn't get done til midnite.Being over developed here as it is makes it much worse.

This is a case where the customer isn't right.

Funny how they can't handle a storm like they get up North all the time.

I'm in Westfield and I noticed the thing about the mailbox.

It used to be that you could shovel out a path to the box, say 3 ft wide.

Now, you gotta clear the path that the jeep travels so the mailman/womean doesn't have to get out of the Jeep.

Its not something you want to shovel. I got a coupple nasty grams from the PO when I just cleared a 3 ft wide path. I hate it! :redbounce :redbounce :redbounce

7. capt caper

capt caper Senior Member

Up in N.H. the mail box's are portable. They move them out further each storm.

USPS doesn't want the couriers out in traffic trying to get to a mail box.

8. ksland

ksland Senior Member
    from ma

I am also near the canal Capt, Feel your pain. First snowfall this year for us will be mid- Dec.... enjoy it because that will be it until Mid Feb. Just a hunch. We will see if I end up right.

9. capt caper

capt caper Senior Member

Just a side note here. We are moving up to Littleton N.H. in Feb.

I hope I know how to handle all the snow. That is if they get some.. :)

10. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

You will have plenty of snow there, we have a house in Colebrook that everyone in my family uses as a vacation home, I can't believe there has not been much snow there yet. I was up there yesterday, i brought my snowmobiles up there, there should be plenty of snow in a few weeks. Once it snows, its not going anywhere until April.

11. capt caper

capt caper Senior Member

I hope I can get into the plowing business as well up there.. I was thinking of buying a V-box spreader. Having never owned one it would make for an interesting expeirience and or make me some money after a while.

My wifes all set, she's just transferring. Doing the same job and pay. Just different place. I plow for the state of Ma. and never had accounts so I will have to start learning about a totally different way of plowing and how to make money and use a spreader.