1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Capability of an ATV for plowing question

Discussion in 'ATV / UTV Snow Removal' started by M Runner, Sep 29, 2009.

1. M Runner

M Runner Junior Member
    from NW Ohio

I llive in rural NW Ohio and my driveway is approximately 150ft long with a 30x48 parking area at the one end for my shop. And as you can imagine, I sometimes get some nice size drifts. I currently plow with my 1990 Chevy 3/4 ton 4x4 with a Western plow. Never had any problems my rig does a fine job. Problem is the old truck is getting tired and it's only a matter of time before I have to replace it.

My question is will a larger ATV with a plow do the job for me? Thanks in advance.
  2. rm25x

rm25x Member

I don't see why not. I have pushed 12"+ with mine no problem. Just have to be smart about it.
  3. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

You should keep your Chevy and use it as a plow truck IMO. But if you get a 500 or bigger with a 60" plow you should be in good shape IMO.
  4. sublime68charge

sublime68charge PlowSite.com Addict

yes a ATV should due your area just fine. How big due your drift's get? and due they taper off that you can start at the small side and work your way taking small pass to remove them?

or due they blow in a solid line across the lane from bank to bank?

5. deere615

deere615 2000 Club Member

yeah a good size atv will do it but the truck will be warmer!

IPLOWSNO PlowSite.com Addict

more than 2 ft of snow and your not getting it done with a atv, a snowblower and a atv maybe, and your gonna be awhile too.

all my info is from the dusting we receive, everyday of winter.
  7. rm25x

rm25x Member

Yeah but an ATV is more fun!
  8. Steve G.

Steve G. Senior Member

A 500 or bigger will do it, get a 60" blade to.