1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Cap on or Cap off

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by retoocs555, Oct 12, 2006.

1. retoocs555

retoocs555 Junior Member

I have a full cap on my truck, before I put a plow on this truck I got the cap specifically to keep the snow out of the bed in the winter time but it reduces my visablity pretty badly.

I know guys plow with dump beds and full bed sanders so they have 100% less visibity than me.

My jobs are all residential with a lot of backing into the main road. Also with a lot of other cars and buildings around.

How do you guys deal with the lack of rearward visablity?

I do take the tailgate and upper hatch of the cap off. and that does help.
  2. solar

solar Member
    from Mass.

I haven't plowed with one but have driven trucks with caps and they would be a nightmare to plow with. I'd loose the cap.

I've kept the tailgate on in the past, but might try it w/o one of these days.
  3. 06HD BOSS

06HD BOSS 2000 Club Member

Especially since your doing residentials, personally i would take it off. Just the one time you look behind you and cant see that one kid playing in the snow bank could be a huge problem! If your trying to keep the snow out, why not just throw a soft tonneau cover on the bed, or a tarp.
  4. hickslawns

hickslawns Senior Member

No brainer, cap off! Too much liability. Besides that what about awnings/tree branches, etc that you might not see and scratch it. Now picture plowing and you have to get out in between each driveway to scrape the snow off the back window or get the ice knocked off that thing. Sounds like a pain or an accident waiting to happen.
  5. retoocs555

retoocs555 Junior Member

The back window of the cab is the biggest problem with the cap.

I probably will end up taking it off.

But what do the guys without rearward visablity do. Just cross their fingers? I've spent a fair amount of time behind the wheel of a 1-ton municipal truck and I couldn see jack backing it up through the little window in the dump bed.
  6. 06HD BOSS

06HD BOSS 2000 Club Member

Just gotta rely on the mirrors man & take it slow
  7. Big Dog D

Big Dog D PlowSite.com Addict

I never look out the rear window when backing up, mirrors only!!! On the several occasions that I've tried it I almost crashed because I am that used to the mirrors from driving dumptrucks for so long and so often.

Learn how to use the mirrors more reliably and you can still keep the cap! It will make a world of difference if you add additional back-up lights.
  8. PowerWagon

PowerWagon Senior Member

Do any of you have toppers on your trucks?

I have topper but I use my mirrors all 4 of them I have two on my passer side that way I can see the lower of the passer side on ground..

Most time look before you back up!

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Depending on what you are doing I don't see a problem with it.

If it were me I would not do it on res driveways. I don't do those anyway because of the headaches. On big commercial lots though if you use your mirrors properly you should be fine.
  10. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

It's up to you. But I wouldn't reccomend it.

Unless you need the cap everyday, what's the point?

You have less visibility so you have a better chance of damaging someone/something and it will slow you down tremendously.

People plowing with big dump boxes, etc.. are usually doing commercial. This means less backing up, rarely you have to back out on to a road and less people around, etc... Not only that, but people plowing with dump boxes do so because they have to.

You could black out your back window and side windows and probably still plow too, but why make things harder for yourself?
  11. PowerWagon

PowerWagon Senior Member

I do have my driver's side window open and heat turn on high have no problem with it. if not real winding with snow!
  12. Sweetpete

Sweetpete Senior Member

My truck has a cap and I plow with no problem at all with it. I have tools back there and I can still see pretty good out the back. Also, get in the habit of using your mirrors, as others have said.

I have to have a cap, for me it's a no brainer. However, if you don't, why not take it off and store it until the spring. But if that's not an option, leave it on and see how it works.

I think you'll get used to it pretty quick. I did.
  13. retoocs555

retoocs555 Junior Member

I'm going to start out with the cap on and if it really slows me down I'll take it off and store it for the winter. And make do with plastic boxes for storage.

Most of the time I have to keep a lot of tools back there.