1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Cap blew off Fluid Tank

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by BornOutside, Nov 10, 2014.

1. BornOutside

BornOutside Junior Member
    from scotia

recently bought a plow off a neighbor with the truck it was on. 2001 ram with a 7600lt im pretty sure its a 2009. From what i could tell the truck rarely moved and either did the plow, it needs some love but the plow seemed to move everywhere it should then after i got it home and pulled the plow off the front the cap blew right off the top of the hydraulic tank when i dropped the mounting arm.

The cap seems to be pretty weak, looks two part with a threaded piece then a clip with a spring in it that slips over it but it threads off in one piece. Is this something as simple as i need a new cap? too much fluid? its not like i was holding on the hydraulic to stress it out over a long period of time it happend pretty fast.

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

I'd say new cap, but it might have been over filled. Where is the fluid level now

3. BornOutside

from scotia

the hydraulic tank is a cylinder with a female threaded piece on top, i havnt added any fluid since the top of the cap blew off but now my level is about 1 1/4'' down from the top of the threads, the guy filled it to the top to make the plow move.

4. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

More than likely, it was just over full.

5. dieselss

Is it that "western" grey cap?

6. BornOutside

from scotia

its a big grey cap yeah, i dont understand why i had pressure in there to beginwith its just the holding tank

7. dieselss

B/c that cap holds 5psi. And if it was over filled it had no where to go

8. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

Yeah, never fill it to the top.

9. BornOutside

from scotia

wow ask and you shall receive, thanks guys i wont be filling it to the top myself, next step is to get this 01ram goin but the magnum sounds strong its only got 100k and all my dodges were kings in the snow. Not a bad pick up for a thousand bucks with a salter