1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Can't you do better on the price?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by X-LOWBALLER, Feb 16, 2007.

1. X-LOWBALLER

X-LOWBALLER Senior Member
    from Toronto

I have this customer. He was salted 8 times in a 2 week period. His bill already received a 10% discount and this POS customer asked me if I could do better with the pricing. He then made an off the cuff comment about having to change summer contracting as well if the price wasn't lowered. Unbelievable. I didn't budge, and told him that I can't control the weather. I picked up another summer customer that pays more than this POS so it doesn't really matter to me either way but WTF?????? The next time I pump my gas, I am going to ask the station attendant if that is the best price they can come up with! :realmad:

2. carl b

carl b PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

3. unit28

unit28 PlowSite Fanatic

When they ask me that question,
    I just hand 'em a new estimate.

They weren't being specific on who should get the better end
    of the deal. So I say yea, I can do better than that.

The additional 10% I add usually gets an odd look. :eek:

4. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

I just did a pick-up plow for a friend the other day and when it was finished I asked for the $45. The customer said "on the phone he said it would be $35-$45", I replied, "well you didn't think 2 1/2 feet of snow (on a 25' x 60' driveway) was really going to fetch the lower price? I normally take 1-3 minutes to plow and I've been here 15 allready." "But I only have $40?" "Whatever, thanks and have a good day!"

Oh yeah, he also mentioned that his brother gets his driveway done for $20, but that guy hasn't showed up yet and he called him yesterday:dizzy:

Ahh, the fun part of our business.

5. ThisIsMe

ThisIsMe Senior Member
    from Mass

Should of charged him $50. $5 more for the time spent arguing. :)

6. SkykingHD

SkykingHD Senior Member

another story

Got a call from a person stating his old snow plow contractor went out of business and could not make it any more. He wanted a bid. We gave him the bid of $50 for the parking lot. He said "the old plow guy only charged $35." We said well we know you cant make any money at $35 and I want $50 to do the job. He said that was to much. We said if we cant make money we will take the cost of rig and put it in bank and draw interest off of it. He found someone else to do his work. We thought this was great.

If I want to go out of business I would set at home and start drinking again. Throw logs on the fire place and chase mama. Why work to go bankrupt? Do it being fat drunk and happy!

As you said just someone else wanting something for nothing. Plenty of people out there who want my services and are willing to pay for it.

Dave

7. Marine1

Marine1 Junior Member

Let him go!! Every time you lower your price your cutting your own throat and everybody else's. Everything is expensive nowadays. If you want to stay in biz know your numbers come up with your pricing and stick to it.

8. PremierLand

PremierLand PlowSite.com Addict
    from detroit

Dont even bother with this fool. I had a lady call me this past storm and this is how it went:

me- thanks for calling xxx how can I help you?
    lady- yes, i need my driveway plowed.
    me- where do you live mam?
    lady on xxx street, I will give you $20 to come do it right now.
    me- mam, sorry but we have to atleast charge $45 for your driveway.
    lady- oh okay, well I will have to call someone else
    me- make sure they have insurance and have a permit for your city, because if someone slips on your property, like the mailman, you will be sued, which will then be turned into your homeowners insurnace, whereas my company has insurance for instances like this, most of these companies dont have insurnace and dont have a permit or license in your city.

lol. so dont bother with people like that, there are people out there who will want your service and want to pay you good money, as long as you show up when you are sopossed to... Example: for commericals, they like to be done by 7am, and doctors like to have their driveway done by 7am also, plus other resis like to be done by at the lateest 9am. So just make sure you have the equipment to do that and your bound to get the good accounts.

the driveway would only take about 5 minutes, but i cant stand people who say stuff like that, not only that, i have a minimum charge of $35 for a driveway like hers, which again, takes less than 5 minutes, if that long, its only 8ft x 75ft long.

about 70% of my customers are the people that say "please do a good job, and treat me as a first class customer, but charge me like one too. Oh and my wife is picky so your going to want to add that into the price too." LOL, to bad there cant be more customers like that. Im so sick of people wanting to give the price, and the worst part is that there are people out there who will say "okay mam, I will be over in 20minutes".

9. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

My favorite response when folks start playing "lets make a deal" is " do I look like Monty Hall" The occasional smart as# will reply with an affirmative, when they do I tell'm to go put on a pink bunny suit and we'll negotiate. While they're pondering I walk away.

10. SkykingHD

SkykingHD Senior Member

to Premeir Land

We have a guy in town that has NO insurance, NO license on truck and plows snow. He plows a bar, grocery store, swimming pool - hot tub store and a gas station that I know of.

He saves $1200 on insurance and 100 for commercial plates in Ohio. I don't know who he knows or what he knows but he has been doing this for years. How do you compete with that? YOU CANT. One day he will have an accident and loose it all if someone is hurt.

Dave

11. go plow

go plow Senior Member

when people tell me that the other guy charged x and did more for the money, i simply call on their bluff and ask them for a signed contract, then i get the old, well, we dont have one, or i dont know were it is, and the dog ate it ! its just B.S...
    i love the ones that after the first plow of the season call and tell you to lower the price because it only took you 5 min to plow and you charged $35. so i tell them that my truck/plow/ sander only cost me 50k and it only took me 10 min to sign.payup

12. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

Classic!!! I have to remember that one

13. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

Very good, too!

14. adksnowo

adksnowo Senior Member

Ask the customer if their overhead for whatever their business is lower this year than last year. Don't go broke working! Some things never change, prices rise, politicians will philander, death, taxes and the price in your contract as stated!