1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Can't use salt?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by braceyaself, Sep 24, 2011.

1. braceyaself

braceyaself Member
    from ct

Hey guys one of the new accounts i am taking over just informed me that we can not use a sand and salt mix. I have been searching really having a hard time finding a product to use for this. Town passed a law for the wet lands banding the use of salt based mixes for ice control any advice would be great thanks!

2. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

Where do you live in CT?

3. braceyaself

braceyaself Member
    from ct

Hey man,this is tom with Tj property management made this name a while ago lol old car name. But this job site is out in wilmington CT

4. leon

leon Senior Member

deicing

Short of using sand and an infrared walk behind heater
    from Marathon equipment your stuck with chlorides or
    beet juice at very low concentrations.

Your safer with high concentration of sand anyway
    and you can sweep it up come spring time for more
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

5. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

Oh boy, here we go again... :rolleyes:

Tom, please clarify what they mean by "salt based". Are they referring to just sodium chloride or all types of deicing chemicals? If they just banned sodium, you could just switch to liquids and treat with mag chloride or calcium chloride liquid. You could also apply straight dry calcium or mag, but handling bags all night is a pain, and not nearly as cost effective as liquid.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2011
  6. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

Really.

There's a bunch of acetate's available.

There's NC3000.

There's Magic.

Probably more, but those are the ones that come to mind right off the bat.

What he said.

I attempted to go through this with a local municipality with all new sidewalks. They said no chlorides, so I asked them if that's really what they wanted. They had no idea what they wanted, just "not salt".

7. braceyaself

braceyaself Member
    from ct

i was told that at 1st now after my convo today looks like we can use either chlorides and mix it onsite.

8. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

Cool, most folks don't really have a clue what they're saying when they say no salt or no chlorides.

9. braceyaself

braceyaself Member
    from ct

I figured as much, I just need to find the best place to buy in bulk the mix it on site