1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Can't use salt any suggestions

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by natureswaylc, Dec 22, 2009.

1. natureswaylc

natureswaylc Junior Member
    from mass

I have a customer that is next to a organic farm with a 200 yard driveway that is at about a 30 degree slope. He just informed me that he signed a form when he purchased the house this spring stating that he would not use salt on the driveway. Does anyone recommend a product that I can put down with a walk behind spreader?

2. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

Sand. Then you can pollute there wetlands...

3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Click the link below this post for Morton Salt.

4. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

Isn't salt organic?

Natural Potash :nod:

5. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

You are Right..But try to tell those Tree Huggers that..:gunsfiring:

6. natureswaylc

from mass

OK. How about giving me some REAL advice! I know that I could use sand but that will not melt anything, and I know that salt is organic. WHAT PRODUCTS HAVE YOU USED?

7. F-SERIES BEAST

F-SERIES BEAST Member

Calcium Magnesium Acetate, potash that you can buy at farm supply, or Urea (30-0-0) it is actually a fertilizer but it will also melt ice, it's not as quick as salt but will do the job if you scrap it pretty clean.

8. cretebaby

Can't you read?

There, I even typed it in all caps for you.

9. natureswaylc

from mass

No need to be an a++

10. poncho62

poncho62 Senior Member

I have a slope on my gravel driveway...I am not fussy on using salt...When it gets icy, I drive my tractor with chains over it a bunch, which chews it up some and I scrape it off.......Its time consuming, but works......Dragging a set of harrows around will work too.....All this takes time, if you have the equipment....and you should get paid for it.

11. cretebaby

Cool, you think I am an A++. :laughing:

What does that make you Matson? D- :waving:

12. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

:laughing:....:nod:

13. cplmac

cplmac Senior Member
    from Dundee

Potash is any Potassium salt, in pyro potash is the most common oxidizer there is. It is 75% of the formula for gunpowder. The last drum I bought ran me $100 for a 110 pound drum, not really economically feasible for de-icing, and that was a great price...

14. cretebaby

Potash is a few hundred dollars a ton. I have used it on several jobs in the past for deicing new concrete.

And it is Organic.

15. cplmac

cplmac Senior Member
    from Dundee

What kind of potash was it? Carbonate? Nitrate? Chlorate? If it was nitrate or chlorate please PM me the information from your supplier, that's a phenominal price. I'm guessing the bulk stuff probably isn't pyro grade though.

PS love the signature.

16. natureguy

natureguy Junior Member
    from indiana

u should go to ur local co-op and get some prilled urea. it is 30-0-0 fertilizer. its pure nitrogen so wont hurt the organics. it will burn the grass on the edge of the drive though if alot is put down. that grass will grow like never before also!

17. Acmemechanic

Acmemechanic Senior Member

Bagged Potasium Chloride Or Magnesium Chloride . Go To Your Local Home Depot orLowes To Find A Particular Product

Last edited: Dec 23, 2009