1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Can't use a truck to plow.

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by gardenkeeper88, Aug 31, 2011.

1. gardenkeeper88

gardenkeeper88 Senior Member

We have a condo assoc w/ about 30 drives to plow. The city has cracked down on keeping the street sidewalk open so the only place to put the snow is off the side of the drives. Has anyone plowed drives like this with a compact tractor or an ATV ? The drives would fit 4 - 6 cars in them. Any idea how long it would take with either of these machines?
    Thanks I've used snowblowers and trucks only.

2. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

Jeep (adding words to make the post long enough )

3. Landcare - Mont

Landcare - Mont Senior Member

Most of the driveway contractors around here use small farm tractors (predominately John Deeres) with reverse blowers on the 3-point hitch. The tractors dealers here have seasonal leasing programs - the contractor has to purchase the blower or plough he wants to put on the machine.

4. gardenkeeper88

gardenkeeper88 Senior Member

I had thought of the blower on the compact tractor as well. Thanks keep th comments coming.

5. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

You can still use the truck ,just need to push it far enough back. Any good plow guy should be able to do this.

6. Kodiakguy

Kodiakguy Senior Member

We have a 85 unit town house / condo development. Drives are 18 foot wide, all two cars deep. We end up with massive stacks at the eves. We use a 3/4 ton truck with a blazzard 8-10 power plow or 8 footer with wings (depending on the truck), and have no issues. When the eves get too large, we stack them farther up the driveway. (customer wants no removal and hauling of snow) We do drives, streets, and salt in about 2 hours with one truck. We thought about a skidder, but it may be a lot slower than the truck.

You should be able to do 30 drives and the in less than an hour.

Do you have to do the sidewalks? How far back from the road is the sidewalk? A skidder with a blower would go right through the stack by the side walk - no problem.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2011
  7. plowmanben

plowmanben Member
    from MI

I do that with my truck at most of my drives. It's not an issue for me.