1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Can't take it anymore.little help!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by kuhndawg, Feb 15, 2007.

1. kuhndawg

kuhndawg Junior Member

ok been working constuction in colorado 8yrs know (fence)for a largre company got my own crew great pay! well in the summer anyway.i can not stand starving in the winter 1 more year!this one was bad.right now i have just a very large graden tractor that i just got a plow for.but my plan is to sell my cobra mustang covert.:cry: for a plow truck.every place i look at is plowed ever storm.what is the best way 2 get new jobs?and how 2 bid?its looks like am diving in to this head first any newbe help? i will keep seaching 2 thanks
  2. Scottscape

Scottscape Senior Member

start with residentials first and get your feet wet and start talking to people everywhere about there lots, gas stations, restaurants, auto parts stores. everywhere. advertise, advertise, advertise. it takes time
  3. BOSS550

BOSS550 Senior Member

Try checking with landscape outfits to see if they need subs and what kind of truck and plow they would want the most. This can help you figure out what kind of equipment you need and can take some pressure off finding work. Just make sure you get the details hammered out on how and when you will get paid!!!
  4. scuba875

scuba875 Senior Member

I think the best way to go is being a sub to start out. Find a good company and learn the ins and outs first. I have been a sub for 3 winters now. I plowed for years before that working for a guy in one of his trucks.

There is a lot more to this business then just buying a truck and a plow. When I decided to do this 3 years ago I found this site. I read and read and read some more. The thing I walked away with was it would be smart to start out as a sub. I am very glad I took the advice of the people on here.

I have made good money over the last three winters with no headaches. No customers calling complaining or having to chase dead beat customers for money. I have enough of that in the summer. lol

Some other advice I can offer is start small, don't go buy a $50 thousand dollar truck, expensive light bars, and all the other toys I see a lot of guys around here with.

I started out with a $7 thousand dollar truck with a plow. I just upgraded this winter to a 03 that I purchased for $17 thousand and a 3 year old plow for $2300. I still don't have any of the toys or fancy light bars. This is about making money, keep the expenses as low as possible.

Good Luck