1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Can't Spread Magic with my Tailgate Spreader

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by gordyo, Nov 27, 2002.

1. gordyo

gordyo Senior Member

Today was my first attempt to use Magic and I failed:mad:
    I have a Sno-Ex tailgate spreader and I had to keep getting out of the truck to bang the sides to get the stuff to spread. I finally gave up and went back to old methods. Any advice would be appreciated.

:help:

2. Innovative

Innovative Junior Member

Hopefully, I can help. Magic Salt is tacky to the touch, allowing it to stay on the road. However, because of this Magic Salt works best in spreaders designed for both salt and sand/salt. Check with your spreader manufacturer to ensure that the spreader you are using is suitable for both salt and sand/salt applications. If you need further assistance you may also call John Parker @ 845-485-4200. Have a great thanksgiving!!!

Nicole

3. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

We installed a vibrator kit on our Snow-Ex to cure feeding problems. Ours hated to run bulk salt, there's just enough variation in particle sizes to make it pack instead of flow sometimes. That took care of the problem and also keeps Magic salt flowing. There was somebody on here who makes vibrator kits, but that was a while back.

4. gordyo

gordyo Senior Member

Thanks for the fast replies Innovative and Alan,

Alan,

That sounds like the answer, I will hook one up to this spreader. Did you just tie it in with the power supplied to the motor or did you run a seprate wire and switch? Just wondering if it would still work if you cut back on the spread width and slow the motor down whether you would get enough power to still run the vibrator?

:waving:

5. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

It's intended to run on a seperate switch. I think that if you cut it down with the speed control it wouldn't have shake enough to work right. I found that the vibrator sure helped even out spread rates with plain salt as well. It had been plagued with fits and starts before that.

6. gordyo

gordyo Senior Member

Alan,

Thanks for the Advice. I appreciate it!!