1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Can't Sleep!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by SharpBlades, Jan 2, 2012.

1. SharpBlades

SharpBlades Senior Member

The first storm of the season is finally here!... Which is awesome if it were not for the fact that I can't fall asleep for the life of me right now. There is about 6" on the ground right now with up to another 10" expected... I have to be up in three hours to load salt then start my route, and fir some reason I just can't sleep. I only got about 5 hours last night then I tried to nap this afternoon and failed at that.

I just don't know why??? I shouldn't even be excited about the snow since all my accounts are seasonals so I'm losing money when I plow... I've laid off the caffeine and such... I just don't know.

Does anyone else get this way or is it just me?
  2. jhall22guitar

jhall22guitar PlowSite.com Addict

damn, whats your trigger? Everyone here in MA seems to be a 3" trigger, so that would make us a killing.
  3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Only if we get more then 3ft at one time.
  4. cod8825

cod8825 Member

First storm of the season is always like this. Been doing it for seven years now and it still gives me goose bumps. If you have a set time to go out do something that you know puts you to sleep. I read some of my wifes Better Homes and Gardens magazines if I am wired ... seems to work for me. Chat back I will be online for several hours

5. SharpBlades

3" trigger but we don't do evening plows (90% resis) so only morn and afternoon runs
  6. SnowMatt13

SnowMatt13 PlowSite.com Addict

I get like that all the time. Can't sleep before a storm, can't sleep when I have a few hours off during....
  7. SharpBlades

Thanks matt & matt at least it's not just me. All the trucks are ready to go, I even detailed the truck I drive today... It's as clean as the day I got it from the dealer.

Its like my adrenaline is pumping even though I know after 4 hours in the truck I'll be ready to fall asleep.

I swear if somebody was watching me they would think I was on meth... I'm freaking typing a mile a minute on my iPhone on here lol
  8. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

This is the first year I haven't had that problem. It's just exciting man! Have fun!
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2012

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

You have 6 on the ground right now with 10" more expected? I wouldn't be able to sleep either because I would have been out 3-4" ago
  10. SharpBlades

It's not worth going out early when that much more is expected. Besides this is light fluffy lake effect lol
  11. cod8825

cod8825 Member

I am serious you really need to get a very boring book to read. My wife will comfirm that I do read here literature when I need some serious ZZZ's. Also with that much snow possible do not forget to take some pictures. I live in Kansas City we have had one dusting this year and the way that people reacted you would have thought that Armeaggadon had arrived with their driving and response to it.

12. UpstateServices

UpstateServices Junior Member

With no day job this past week and all the holidays i'm on a 4:00-10:00am sleep schedule and have to go salt at 5:00 figures!!

I'll be on this computer for ever and then just as I'm feeling ready for bed time to fire up the truck.

At least I have the chance to get on a regular schedule again.

All seasonal but have to admit i'm getting pretty jazzed that I may get to use the blade this week.
  13. cwby_ram

cwby_ram Senior Member

I'm with ya. I could go to sleep, but if I do, it won't be fun getting back up at 3. Just a salt run for me though, so it'll be quick.

(also Matt, by the way)
  14. SharpBlades

Hihohiho it's off to plow I go.... I did catch a cat nap by the way
  15. UpstateServices

UpstateServices Junior Member

Be safe and have fun!

I keep looking iut the window and it snows like mad 3 minutes at a time.

I'm gonna go take a run at the old lady and watch some top gear and I'll be on my way also.

16. ameyerman

ameyerman Senior Member

I am the same way night before a storm. Cant go to sleep for nothing. I keep seeing my truck pushing white gold in my head.
  17. KM81

KM81 Member

We didnt get sh*t here in Rochester. Maybe a little over an inch. Lame
  18. SharpBlades

I'm disappointed. Only another 3" fell overnight. Now I'm tired enough to sleep. Hopefully there's not to many calls from little old ladies who need to get plowed out lol
  19. lawn king

lawn king PlowSite.com Addict

I was the same way, could never sleep before a storm. That problem dissipates after the first 10 - 12 years!!!
  20. SnowMatt13

SnowMatt13 PlowSite.com Addict

I don't know about that. I've been plowing for 16 years and still get jumpy.