1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Can't seem to find the prop shaft grease fitting

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by SpruceLandscape, Dec 10, 2006.

1. SpruceLandscape

SpruceLandscape Senior Member

Hey everyone, stupid question here... Just changed my oil for the 2nd time, went to lube the prop shaft on the transfer case just like it shows in the owner's manual, except that I can't find the friggin fitting!! I spun that thing around probably 2 dozen times looking at it from 3 different angles, couldn't find it. Let me know if anyone has a 05 or 06 truck and knows where its at. I assume its just supposed to be a regular grease fitting somewhere on the U-joint????

2. lawnmasters2006

lawnmasters2006 Senior Member

most likely there isnt a grease cert...u joints are har to but one in them,cause they trun in such a tight spot..my 2 cents:D

3. pinepointe

pinepointe Senior Member

I had an 05 2500 and now have an 06 3500 there is a fitting it is a needle fitting you will see a small hole inside the u joint you will need to go to your local napa and get a needle adaptor for your grease gun and a good shop work light because it's hard to find good luck josh

4. Snowchief

Snowchief Member

Are you kidding?

You mean there is a fitting somewhere between the double u-joint CV joint thing? The metal carrier between them blocks access to that area almost completely.

Is there any way to find it without removing the driveshaft?

Steve.

5. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Sometimes if you jack up the truck it puts a different angle on the u-joint and you can reach it. Just make sure tires are off the ground so it spins freely.

6. Snowchief

Snowchief Member

Thanks, I found and greased it. Good trick, jacking up one wheel - it adds some angle the driveshaft and makes for easy spinning.

Now I sprayed a dot of marker paint on it, should be easy from here on out. I took off the skidplate to find it but I won't have to next time.

Thanks guys,
    Steve.

7. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

Wait, were is it:help: ? I thought is was some joke Dodge was playing on their customers. I've looked for that thing one more than one occasion:mad:

8. SpruceLandscape

SpruceLandscape Senior Member

its hard to see because it isn't the usual grease fitting you would expect to see, its simply a little ball socket that you need a grease needle to service. If you have never done it, its going to be even harder to find because its going to have some dirt and road debris on it by now.

9. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

The front drive shaft about a grease point. This only applies to the 05 and up and on 4x4's.
    The Double Cardan joint has a needle point grease fitting that needs to be lubed every 4K miles.
    05 and later trucks is what this applies to. 04's and earlier do not have this joint.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2008
  10. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

corection; They do have this joint and they may still be serviced the same way.

11. Snowchief

Snowchief Member

Yes, the grease zerk really exists. You have to go on feel with a hand-operated greasegun because you can't see what you're doing - if there's enough resistance the grease is probably going in.

I used a NAPA grease needle designed for puncturing CV boots, it looks like a medical syringe. I had to grind it to a cone from the original syringe shape, but it worked. Just make sure that you see grease come out the other side (the transfer case side) to make sure that you got it in there. I used the red synthetic grease so it was obvious when it went into the zerk and out the other side.

Steve.