1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Can't raise blade! Help!

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by PeteB, Jan 16, 2007.

1. PeteB

PeteB Junior Member

Let me begin by saying I am a NOVICE. This is my second season owning a plow. Yesterday I went to plow the 1" of ice, and I was only able to raise the blade once, and now it won't lift! I hear a click under the hood when try to raise it. 2001 F 350 with 9' Minute Mount 1. Any thoughts on what it might be? Any help is appreciated!

2. BoulderBronco

BoulderBronco Senior Member

Maybe a bad connection at the plug. Sounds like there is a relay that is working. I would put your head under the hood and follow the wires. Also have someone lift the joystick so you can here where that click is coming from.

3. chaseatg

chaseatg Member

Pete: The first thing to check is all of the electric connectons. Check not only the plow plugs but also your battery connections both positive and negitive.

4. PeteB

PeteB Junior Member

OK I will check the connections. The plow worked fine about two weeks ago, and I was able to lift the blade once yesterday. Then it wouldn't lift or angle... Sounded like the click was coming from the under the right front of the hood. I will check.

5. spittincobra01

spittincobra01 Senior Member

PeteB,

after you check the connections, make sure you put some die-electric grease on all of them. I do it as part of my pre-season prep. I too have a MM1, and I take off the black plastic cover on the plow and grease all the relays and connections in there, and the actual plug sockets where you connect the plow to the truck. The battery terminals get the spray anti-corrosion stuff.

6. Antnee77

Antnee77 PlowSite.com Addict
    from RI

Hit everything with Fluid Film, especially all the connections at the plow. Also, check the ground on the plow pump.

7. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

Does the plow sit out on a regular basis. You probably got water in your system and the pump froze. Drag it inside and let it warm up and drain out all fluid and change the filter. People on this site are right about the Diletric grease. But the don't know we have'nt got any snow YET!!!! ALL RAIN!!!!! So you got water in it and it and it froze. Common problems on the MM1 not sure about the mm2 since I just got mine. But I am sure water gets in those too

The reason you could move it once was the fluid pushed all the ice to the screen and now you are all done till the plow thaws out. take off the top fill plug and check fluid. use a screw driver. If its creamy white/pink and frozen thats your problem. Then pull the bottom plug and get out as much fluid as you can. It will be a creamy color and frozen a bit. Push down on piston to force out fluids. Then heat up some tranny fluid (1 quart) put bottom plug back in and try to move plow with hot oil in it. I will melt the ice at the screen and in lines. Once again pull bottom plug and let all the fluid drain out. Then refill with fluid (room temp) and you should be good to go,

Last edited: Jan 16, 2007
  8. BigDave12768

Come on guys you are all from N.E. Its a frozen plow. I know it was 70 last weekend and we all forgot what cold weather does to our plows. Moved it once and got ice into the screen.

9. Al DeMaio

Al DeMaio Junior Member

Let's check the easy stuff first. Get a test light and someone to help. Check to see if the motor relay(starter solenoid) works. That's probably your clicking sound. next check for power at the plug, and then at the motor. Electric motors have been known to fail, is the motor spinning??? Then check from there if you've got power to the motor and the motor doesn't spin tap it like you would a car starter.

10. BigDave12768

Not to tought to pull off the fill plug and drop a screw driver in it.

11. spittincobra01

spittincobra01 Senior Member

I thought about the possibility of it being frozen when I replied, but if that were the case the motor would still spin. If all he hears is the relay click, than the motor isn't spinning and unless the motor armature is frozen, I don't think the cold has much to do with the problem. This is going from my experience

but then again I have been wrong before :nod:

12. PeteB

PeteB Junior Member

Didn't you guys read that I am a NOVICE! Wow, great responses though. Big Dave, you are right about all the rain up here, and today was to cold to check everything after I got home. I do know about dielctric grease. When I looked at the connector plugs everything looked kinda creamy, not like the dielctric grease I remember. I'll have to drag my wife out to help when it warms up a little. Supposed to be below zero again tonight!
    Thanks again everyone for all the help!

13. Antnee77

Antnee77 PlowSite.com Addict
    from RI

Dielectric grease is like a creamy substance. Its sort of like Vaseline.

It really sounds like your problem is a bad electrical connection, but it could be anywhere. I would follow all your wiring and see if there is any corrosion. Then, check all your power and grounds again. I have seen and heard this same issue a million times, and it's always due to a bad power and/or ground.

14. PeteB

PeteB Junior Member

Plow worked fine today when I went to work on it. We had about 2" of snow and I pushed it around! The blade raised, angled and lowered fine...
    What do you guys think now? I didn't do anything but connect the plugs.

15. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

what controller do you use? and do you unplug it often?

16. EricD701

EricD701 Senior Member

I had a problem like that with my mm1 and found a broken wire in the 9pin connector sleeves. It would come and go like yours.
    Have some one work the controls while you grab the cable sleeve (usually near a bend in the cable sleeve) and move it and bed it see if it cuts out on you.

P.S. Keep your feet clear we don't need that blade comming down on you.

17. PeteB

PeteB Junior Member

I use the handheld controller... I just bought the truck in December. I have only plowed a couple of times so far, but I do unplug and take the plow off.

One of the connector plugs has a small crack in it.

I will try to see if there is a problem in the wiring...

Thanks again for all of the help! This site is great!

Last edited: Jan 21, 2007
  18. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

with mine, i had a slight problem with the connectors where the controller plugs in and caused the plow to not want to angle left/right, only go up/down., and once we pushed in the connectors so they made tighter contact, we didn't have problems anymore. I have the mounted controller and have not and do not take it in and out of the truck. It was a used setup however so the connections probably got moved a bit durring its previous application.

19. DRG

DRG Junior Member

I had a problem with my plow today .It would not go up .I finally got it up and brought it to Donovan Equipment .Water frose in the pump .

20. Al DeMaio

Al DeMaio Junior Member

Preventative maintenance is a wonderful thing