1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Can't plw with '07 ram 1500???

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by LarryK, Nov 26, 2010.

1. LarryK

LarryK Junior Member

I picked up an 07 Ram 1500 HEMI 4x4 4door, and the ouners manual said that the factory DOES NOT recomend plowing. Does anyone know why this is not possible? I mean the truck is no heavy weight to be sure but I'm not a comercial plower. I've been plowing my driveway (about 80') and the kids driveway (about 275') with a Polaris ATV. Whats the scoop?

2. birddseedd

birddseedd PlowSite Veteran

itl do it just fine.

but the manual should say,,, modifying your frame to fit a plow voids your warante. check on this because i could be wrong.

if you have a torsion bar suspension tighten it all the way, or get assited shocks.may go through ball joints faster, not sure, but thatl happen anyway. if you are not doing it commercialy anyway youll never notice any problems.

3. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

The 2006+ Ram 1500's have a coil spring front suspension. They do make spacers if it doesn't hold the plow well.

Its fine for a plow- I used a 2003 Dakota Quad Cab for 3 years with a full size plow on it. Its more of a liability thing than the truck not being able to handle it.

4. birddseedd

wish i had coil springs

5. plowguy43

Me too, its why I bought my 2500. I bought 2.5" spacers for $55 shipped!

6. birddseedd

loks like iv got a footish off the ground. either mid winter or winter next year ill get assisted shocks to get another 4 or 6 inches.

7. LarryK

LarryK Junior Member

Well its out of warrenty anyway. I've heard that sagging in the front might be an issue. Can anyone suggest whether spacers, hocks or something like Timbrens would work the best???

8. Stik208

Stik208 PlowSite.com Addict

I believe it was 09 they went from t bars to coils. The 09s and up are coils front and rear.

9. birddseedd

as long as you have clearence, sagging wont cause problems other than wearing out the suspension. which will happen anyway, but faster plowing, no matter what truck itl happen faster.

the only way to alleviate this problem is using a better suspension. a good way is simply assisted shocks.

10. birddseedd

or find someone selling suspension parts thatl fit urs.

11. plowguy43

Yes, 2009 has coils in the front and rear, in 2006 they went to a coil spring front suspension and dropped the torsion bars all together.

From Motortrend:

"You're Probably wondering why we included the Ram 1500 in our 2006 Truck of the Year competition, especially since it looks nearly identical to the 2005 model. How different could it be from the previous year? A lot, to say the least. Besides minor alterations to the exterior--new headlights, a full chrome grille, revised bumpers, and a tailgate spoiler--the 2006 Ram has received significant upgrades under the skin, namely a fresh frame. While still hydroformed, the new architecture is stiffer--17 percent in bending, 5.5 percent in torsion--features a larger front crush zone and offers replaceable rail tips, similar to the Dakota's frame, for easier fender-bender repair. Bolted to the Ram's stronger bones is a heavily revised suspension, which sports retuned springs, bushings, and monotube dampers, as well as a new front control-arm, coil-over-shock setup on 4WD trims, which replaces the 2005's torsion bars."

Last edited: Nov 30, 2010
  12. birddseedd

they should have done that before they started using them...

13. allstarlawncare

allstarlawncare Member

it only says it recommends you don't plow with it. that doesn't mean that you cant plow with it. when i bought my f-150 they told me that I shouldnt plow with it, but i slapped a plow on anyways and it handles it just fine. put some timbrens up from and your truck will handle the plow as long as there is some weight in the back end

14. birddseedd

my uncle plowed with his older dodge 1500 for years without doing anything to the suspension

15. Stik208

Stik208 PlowSite.com Addict

Well how about that.

16. plowguy43

I know, I have waaaay too much time on my hands LOL

17. birddseedd

well then come fix my plow...

18. DAFFMOBILEWASH

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

Tortion set ups for the 1500 series are better than coil. This way you can increase the spring rate on the front end with a few turns of a wrench and back it off in the spring. NTM raise the front end for clearance over the curb too. Had a 03 RC LB 4.7 auto Snoway 26 series plow. Great set up for the truck plus the plow is nice and light on the front end too. Hate the wireless remote, seems it was always a second late in raising the blade before the curb got in the way!!!!

Your truck will be just fine. Keep up on the front end and sevice alll the fluids. The worst thing about the Dodge trucks and plowing is the stupid A pillars being way too fat!!!!

19. birddseedd

iv got mine cranked all the way up and it still sinks way down.

20. 1 bad bolt

1 bad bolt Member

i have a 2008 quad cab 1500 and installed a boss standard duty 7.5 blade . i havent plowed with it yet but the front end only drops 1.5'' when i raise the blade up. i only use it for family and my driveways. i think you will be fine .