1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

can't plow faster than about 12 mph without getting windshield blasted with snow??

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by cornbinder, Feb 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cornbinder

cornbinder Senior Member

hey guy's i've got strip mall that has one big parking lot all connected, i've got about a 1/4 strait shot. problem is on my 88 ramcharger, anything over about 12 or 13 mph the snow blasts right into my windshield and even with the wipers on i can't see a damn thing!!!! any body else have that problem? if so what to do to solve it? later, pete
  2. frndinalowplace

frndinalowplace Senior Member
    from 7hills

Maybe a rubber defflecter?
  3. Showmestaterida

Showmestaterida Senior Member

snow deflector. rubber or poly
  4. carl b

carl b PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

old truck mud flaps work..(semi ) if you cut them down to 6" strips.. you'll only need two.. angle iron on the back top side of the plow ( facing forward )and a strip of flat on top..clap them down and drill.. mine has been on for 4 years.. if you need pics let me know
  5. PowerWagon

PowerWagon Senior Member

go to a Tractor Store look for 8 foot rubber that goes in back of truck bed, cut it in 14 inch you have 8 feet long and put it in front of your plow.. you need a rubber then go 30 MPH!!
  6. gene gls

gene gls PlowSite.com Veteran

No Good....I still get snow over my plow top.
  7. payton

payton Senior Member

little trick on the snow deflectors..

on the backing piece of steal..

goto your local farm store and buy a dozen hay rake tines..

weld them on your backing steal that holds the rubber defector down.. this will act as a spring and not let the defector bend over backwards.

8. NCass31

NCass31 Member

again at the farm store... get a piece of the hay elevator belt cut for your plow.. on your 88, 7.5 right? i know at Tractor Supply Co. you can get it 4" wide 2-ply or 10' wide 2-ply. on the website it shows my local prices as the 4" for $2.25per foot, and the 10" for $6.25 a foot. angle iron is there too, not to expensive. i work there part time, seeing as there is no snow, i need money for booze. good luck

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

10. Plowfast9957

Plowfast9957 Senior Member

Call a local rock quarry, sand and gravel co., or concrete plant and they usually have old conveyor belts laying around. They usually throw them away anyway so they should give them to ya. Alot of the time they are 18-24in. wide so you can cut them to whatever size you need. Works good for me.
  11. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

Thats what we do, I have never bought any rubber for a deflector. They are usually glad to give you as much as you need. The last time i got some, I think the piece was 24' long.
  12. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Your only suppose to plow at 5mph!:dizzy:
  13. Sno4U

Sno4U Senior Member

Ya, & your only supposed to drive 45mph to transport the plow too but even I don't do that!
  14. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting PlowSite.com Addict

Thats wright

Slow down or you'll get a good awakening when you hit something, not to mention the abuse on the equipment, just talking out of experience.
  15. cornbinder

cornbinder Senior Member

thanks for the input guys!! hey grandview honestly, if you had a 1/4 mile strait shot that's 500 ft. wide and you've been plowing it for years and you know every foot of the parking lot, you mean to tell me your only gonna go no faster than 5 mph? not me if i could go 15 mph and not get blasted by snow i'd be happy. later, pete
  16. cornbinder

cornbinder Senior Member

thanks for the advice i appreciate it, later pete
  17. Mow It All

Mow It All Member

You need to get a deflector. I had one installed on mine for about $100 makes a world of difference
  18. William B.

William B. Senior Member
    from S.E. IA

Heck just go to your local quary and ask for a piece of convayor belt. They will have some scrap layin around, and will mostly likely just give it to ya.
  19. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Relax Nancy........ :rolleyes:
  20. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

Tell me your joking, cause afterall, the really good rooster tails don't happen until at least 15-20mph:D

No one mentioned it, but you could also add a foil, more expensive but helps throw the snow farther off to the side.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.