1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Cant' mount hte danm plow

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by santelikk, Nov 26, 2007.

1. santelikk

santelikk Member

:mad:
    I have an Ultra-mount plow and something is wrong. I drive up to the plow and the horns do not go all the way into the recievers. It stops about 2-3 inches shy, then I have to get out and wrestle the plow onto the truck. It takes about an hour to get the dang thing on.

I am not sure if I need to raise the truck or some how adjust the plow. Looking at the instructions from western, I need the pivot ploat in configuration 1, (which they are)

What appears to be happening is that the horns are angled upward too much, and are hitting the reciever that is why I am unable to get this connection. Is there a way to make the horns level?

2. michdeere

michdeere Member

Have you adjusted the roll pins in the parking stands? Almost sounds like they are set too low right now. Also, the pivot plate orientation can be a little confusing. Are you sure they're correctly set up according to the receiver height measurement on the truck?

3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

I agree, sounds like either the pivot plate config is off or the roll pins in the stands are too low.
    Which hole is the roll pin in?

Can you post a pic of the truck pulled up to the plow?

Last edited: Nov 27, 2007
  4. santelikk

santelikk Member

Are there supposed to be multiple holes for the roll pin? As far as I can tell there are only 2 options on being when the stand is lowered and the other when it is locked on the truck. I was thinking that if I had another hole for the shoe stand (one that I drilled) that I could get the plow level.

I'll get some pictures tonight. I did not have much time to mess with it last night (2 jobs) I don't work tonight so I'll pull the truck up and snap some pictures.

5. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

Has it ever mounted cleanly?

I just got the ultra mount and found that if I alter the height of the plow stands from where I took it off the truck then the next time the truck pulls up the height is off. It's a massive pain :realmad: to then mount on. I've since built a large plate for the blade on wheels and found heavy duty casters for each stand leg. Now I can roll it around the garage and mount back up now with no problems and it keeps the matching height.

6. JeepCreepn01

JeepCreepn01 Senior Member
    from Ohio

when its built there are i believe 3 different places on the PLOW side that are adjustable, you are suppose to but the truck side on first when actually installing all the brackets measure read the directions and then use 1 of the 3 holes that western says too, mine worked great last year and i lifted my truck ever so slightly over the summer, thus i had to go and tear my plow apart and change the hole, the actual foot stand sometimes wont get it up high enough, i installed my plow so i guess i was lucky and could take it all apart, not hard at all just time consuming

7. santelikk

santelikk Member

I got the plow mounted up. The problem was in the vehicle height. I cranked the torsion bars 4 turns and all worked out. What was happening was the the lower portion of the horn was contacting the reciever and forcing the mount to roll forward.

Now I have to figure out why the plow won't hit the ground. Attached are photos. The cap nut is hand tight and the plow won't hit the ground.

plow5.JPG

plow4.JPG

plow3.JPG

plow2.JPG

plow1.jpg

8. Daner

Daner PlowSite.com Addict

Compress the lift cylinder by hand...Push It all the way down...readjust the chain....make the chains longer...then pull the light bar (top part of the plow) towards the truck...now notice how the horns become level. :)

9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Have you checked to see if the blade is actually hanging on the chains, or if it's hung up on something at the back of the A-frame at the pivot points? Can you manually push the lift cylinder down with the controller in float?

10. santelikk

santelikk Member

In the pictures the chains are limp, I can press the cylinder down while in the float position by hand and the blade will not lower. Something must be binding on the lift frames.

? on the pivot points Are the 2 bolts that go between the pivot plates and pins supposed to be breaker bar tight? They currently are. The stand bolts were also extremely tight to the point I could not even rotate them.

Which bolts should allow rotation?

11. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Please be very very careful around that plow with it hung up on the pivot point like that! Get a floor jack or something under the front of it if your working anywere near it!

If it's hanging up on the A-frame pivot then somethings definitely wrong with the configuration set up then.....can you get a couple close up pics of the pivot plates and pins?

12. santelikk

santelikk Member

Will do tonight.
    Just noticed your sig. How is the mileage on the 8.1?

13. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

About 20 blocks to the gallon :D

Actually I've been keeping a very close eye on the mileage since i bought it. Around town (Read: short trips) it is consistantly 8.9 no matter what I'm using it for and 12.8 on the highway whether your running 65 mph or 90 mph cruise on or off.....

It's basically just like the old big blocks of the past, the mpg is the same no matter how hard or easy your workin it......up hill, down hill, or off a cliff.... it's always the same.

14. santelikk

santelikk Member

Pictures of Pivot points

11-30-07_0725.jpg

11-30-07_0726.jpg

11-30-07_0727.jpg

15. santelikk

santelikk Member

Is that lower bolt supposed to be a little loose, It is tight and allows no movement. at the moment.

16. santelikk

santelikk Member

BTW I increased the chain lenghts and that did help, now it is only about 1/2" from the ground. The top edge of the reciever is right at 14.5" which is inbetween config 1 and config 2.

17. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Yes both the carriage bolts should be tight....the A-frame pivots on the pivot pins in the ends of the pivot bar...everything else should be tight..

I can't see anything out of place by the pics...does anything look like it might be bent or out of place?

I'd disconnect the chains and with some help, manually tip the lift frame forward and back while watching to see what it's binding on or getting caught on....

I know you said that after loosing the chains a bit more that it's now only a 1/2" off the ground, but it should go at least another 4 or 5 more inches below that point , or else it's never going to follow the ground contours when in float.

18. santelikk

santelikk Member

Well I gave up on trying to figure it out and took it to a dealer. He looked it over and determined the pivot pins that go into the pivot bar are fozen up. He said he will try to salvage what he can, but I'll probably have to get new pins.

19. santelikk

santelikk Member

Well picked up the plow and everything worked great. I was out from midnight till 6:30, then I went and did the family drivesways. Had a little hiccup when I lost power to the controler. Pulled off the plastic cover on the fuse panel and wiggled the wire and was back up and running.