1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Can't make up my mind!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by FSUPERDUTY, Aug 18, 2007.

1. FSUPERDUTY

FSUPERDUTY Senior Member

Getting ready to buy a new blade,9.2 Boss poly-v,8.6 poly Western mvp,Western wide-out.I have had three western pro-plows.All were uni-mounts and my last plow was a Boss 8.2 V.I had good luck with all of those blades although I feel the Boss was faster and a little sturdier(My opinion).I like the new features of the Westerns but I am a little leary of the wide out even though that is my first Western choice and I prefer Boss's controls(joystick) I know you can get a joystick for the MVP but i feel it is more complex and am not sure if it is available for the wide out which will nock it out of the running if it's not.
    Prices I have been quoted so far are Boss 9.2 poly power-v with smart locks is $5000.00 plus tax cash and carry,Western 8.6 poly MVP $4450.00 plus tax cash and carry and $4700.00 plus tax cash and carry for the wide-out.I usually don't have problems making a decision like this but this time I'm kinda stumped.Opinions will be great Just please Don't turn this into a brand war!

2. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

I personally would stick with the western. I also would lean towards the wideout (I bought one already) The hand held is really nice. Most people get used to it real quick. After one storm you will be like? why didn't I get one of these sooner vs the joystick.

3. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I have no opinion as to which is better considering I don't own either. But if you are installing it yourself and want help, pm me. I am like 5 min from your sub division.

4. NLS1

NLS1 Senior Member

I haven't used the Wideout, but have used plenty of other westerns. I own a poly 9'2" Boss, and it is one great blade, very strong and fast. The new plow on the Dodge this year will likely be another poly 9'2" or the 9'2'' v xt. I can certainly see the wideout as very productive. However, several times this last year, especially the last two snow falls we had, having a v plow was invaluable for punching through very deep drifts and piles from the city trucks. I am confident that to punch through with a straight blade it either would have taken much longer, been impossible, or would have damaged the truck or plow. Several times I had to play battering ram with my truck after the city left packed snow as high as my hood. During the last 19" storm of the year the drifts in one Burger King lot were so packed and deep that I literally could not push it until I broke it all up in the v position. Not having a v plow would have meant longer days and lost income. I would certainly lean toward either vplow, going with the largest I could. Just my $0.02! Hope you rake in the dough this year in IL! payup payup

Last edited: Aug 19, 2007
  5. ford6.9

ford6.9 Senior Member

Just as NLS said i think you would be best looking at the V plow. last winter was a hard one with just a straight blade, we got all of our snow in 3 storms or so, and no matter how great the wideout may be in a 2" storm your back at square one with it when its gets deep. For this reason (i am also looking for a new plow this year) i am only looking at the V plows, my pick is the 9.2 boss. I have a straight 7'6" right now and its been great. Now i just need to figure out if its the 9.2XT or last years style, i want to put wings on to make it even larger than an 810 blizzard in parking lots which i am not sure if you can do with the new xt style yet. Best of luck!

6. NLS1

NLS1 Senior Member

Ford6.9, I agree, I am going to put a poly92 or the vxt92 on the dodge, but my dealer said that he hasn't heard anything about wings for the vxt yet, no poly for it either. Bummer! That vxt is pretty cool though, looks great for windrowing! Post pics when you choose! I will too.:nod:

7. ford6.9

ford6.9 Senior Member

i;ll get some pictures up when i get it on. do you currently have a poly? and if so have you noticed it sticking more as you scratch it up? just wondering if it becomes "sticky" overtime. I havent thought about going with the poly as i have heard no real bennifits over just not needing paint every couple of years. Is there something else i am missing?

8. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Why not look into a Fisher Extreme V SS. We put mine next to our shop's Boss and angled left and right, kinda a race I guess just to see if it was as fast as they said it was....although it was'nt much faster, the Fisher clearly beat it. There may be other factors but this was just something stupid we did before lunch,lol. I saw some pics of the new "wide outs" and they left me questioning a few things like why put the cylinders so close to the mold board, one good hit and your moldboard and cylinder could be damaged, also there were some gaps near the extentions that left trails of snow, there were a few more things that didnt make sense but who knows. IMO I would stay away from a first year design.

9. NLS1

NLS1 Senior Member

yes i do have a poly 9'2" boss and it doesn't seem to stick when you are actually plowing, rolls right off. if you just run into a pile and leave then yes it sticks, but when you are moving it seems to roll off very well. obviously i cant see if its sticking or not when I am plowing, but you can see the snow rolling off in a smooth roll, with no obvious signs of big chunks stuck to the moldboard. when the snow got really deep it still seemed to have not as much resistance compared to the years of using western steel straight blades. from what i can tell it is doing what the plow manufacturer says its doing, maybe i'll set up a camera this coming year to get better proof.:D

10. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

However, how many little storms do you have compared to heavy ones?

Also, before V-plows, how did us plowers break through the drifts and windrows left by the municipal guys?

11. ford6.9

ford6.9 Senior Member

good point there. but also keep in mind i have no hopes of making my life any harder than it has to be

12. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

I agree -- and I don't buy the story of hood-high banks if we're plowing with the storm. Furthermore, your snow is going to roll off either side when angled to either side, and if you're THAT worried about moving a mountain, take a smaller swipe. I think it's foolish for someone to buy a v-plow for the purpose of busting through to make 1 pass; use it for the dog-ear feature or for scooping on EVERY cleanup, and it makes a lot more versatile plow. But I think as Mark said, why is it a relatively new feature becomes the end-all-be-all for plowing when we've accomplished the same result with bigger storms for decades?

13. NLS1

NLS1 Senior Member

Rough day guys?

I didn't say that v plows were the be all end all, but sure are nice for busting the big stuff and for cleanup. I make one comment and you guys start:gunsfiring: through my .02, you shouldnt take yourselves so seriously. Straight blades obviously have been around forever and work fine. And by the way, the hood high stuff did happen a few times with referrals who had been neglected and let sit through the two biggest storms without being touched. This sure isn't the norm, but I was very glad to have a vplow in those instances. And how does having small storms mostly have anything to do with wanting or needing a vplow. Maybe you like spending more time in cleanup and pushing piles? Just trying to share my experience, although not maybe as much as you old timers. Have a nice day!

14. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping PlowSite.com Addict

You said you have had great luck with the Boss plows or Western plows. I'm partial to the Western blades but you said it yourself that the Boss blade you've run was a bit better then the western. That might be the way to go.

15. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

We can argue all day about who's is bigger and better, but what it comes down to, is what you've had good luck with. I've had great luck with Boss and the dealer is a good one and very close. I will never say my blade is the best because I have not tried them all. Give a good operator any blade and he will plow alot of snow. We've had guys working for us driving 14 ft blades and they would be out plowed by a pick-up. Bigger is not always better, depenability is the most important aspect to me. PLOW SMARTER not HARDER. Sorry a little off topic. LOL

16. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Not at all, you are absolutely correct Dave. That was what I was getting at in a roundabout way.

NLS, take myself less seriously? You don't know me very well. What I am getting at is don't spend $5-6K on something that is really, really useful only a couple times a year or decade. Look at what the majority of your storms are made up of--light snowfalls generally except for a few places in the country. Base your purchase off what is most efficient on the majority of your snowfalls consist of. And maybe a V is the best plow for him, I never said it wasn't.

And don't get all pissy, I was just pointing out another viewpoint, just as you are.

17. NLS1

NLS1 Senior Member

Mark, I reread your post a couple times. Sorry for jumping on your case, I see now that you weren't being a jerk, just bringing up a valid point that is different than mine. Usually I am pretty laid back, but all I could see was red :mad: when yardmedic was calling me a liar. I lumped you in with yardmedic, instead of blowing him off and listening to your otherwise harmless comment, sorry. I agree that straight blades work fine for most all snow in the country, and I am pretty quick with one. Mostly I find that the vplow allows me to be even faster which means more payup since I can take on more places whether it is small or big snowfall. Vplows seem worth it to me, but to each his own. Again, just my $0.02

18. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

Not calling anyone a liar -- I would have done that if I thought it so. I too was giving a different perspective than I thought was presented. I also didn't say that YOU said v plows were the end all be all, merely that the high praise on busting through seemed to be it's only attribute and the lone reason for purchasing such a plow (I know that's not the case, but I can make a pretty good argument about how things read). I like good discussions, and I don't attack anyone unprovoked (and I wasn't attacking you or anyone, NLS). Hope you have a good day!

~Kevin

19. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I wasn't getting pissy, like you said, I was just giving my point of view and by the way Mark I value your opinion. From the posts I've read, you give honest answers and I respect that. Now there are a few other people, I will get pissy with in the future on this site, but as of now you are not on this list. LOL

20. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

Back on to topic....

I actually an having the western mvp plus installed next week. I opt'ed for the western over sno-way for speed, market share and technology. I opt'ed for the western over boss because western fixed the items I felt lacking on the boss'es design. Price was a match, technology better, speed slightly better, good tripping action.... Just pull the two plows upside by side on their web pages and it makes sense. sno-way is coming out with a new design next year - too late for me and a shame because their plows just worked with out complaining.