1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Can't install plow on 99 crew cab dually

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by GimmeSnow!!, Dec 1, 2010.

1. GimmeSnow!!

GimmeSnow!! Senior Member

I was looking for a plow truck about a month ago, found a dually and wasn't sure how it would do for plowing but it was a hell of a deal on a hell of a truck. I bought it thinking I would put a plow and v-box in it for some larger lots. Took it to weingartz and they said I can't install a plow on a crew cab dually because of gross vehicle weight rating. Anyone else had this problem? I figured being a 3500 the truck would be able to handle all kinds of weight. Don't really know what to do at this point. Anyone wanna buy a salt truck?? $5000, Clean!! Blue books at $6500
  2. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

Put a plow on it yourself....there's a big difference between what a truck can LEGALLY carry and what it can actually safely carry!
  3. jerseydrew

jerseydrew Senior Member
    from jersey

according to the western quickmatch it seems like they offered 2 different plows for it but the mounts are out of production. find a truck side mount used and then get the appropriate plow for it. seems like it is just an older model without support not that it is a bad plow vehicle.
  4. RCsLawncare

RCsLawncare Senior Member

Iv seen them done all the time, I believe the dealers make sure the truck is weighted down all they can before you put the plow on to give them a buffer of if it can handle it. Just don't have you truck loaded down with 6 friends busting drifts! My Boss dealer said thats the fuss with crew cabs, is they account for the truck being full of people.
  5. damian

damian Senior Member

rc is right,the theoretical load-plowing with 6 people on board,full fuel and a plow will overgross the front axle
  6. GimmeSnow!!

I went to western dealer today. He said I can put an 8'6 on the truck. I measured the wheels from outside to outside, 8ft. I don't really have the bigger accounts that I bought it for. I do have some subdivisions I was thinking about using it for because there's no backing up. This is a big truck. Not sure how it would work out with our commercial because a lot of it is smaller. Also is 6 inches enough to allow the blade to turn back and forth or are the wheels just going to pull the snow back onto the road. I wanted to put a 9'2 on it. All in all, I think I would be better off to sell the truck, take a small profit on it and get a 2500 that would work better with all of my accounts and I can stick with boss blades. Never tried western but I have 3 boss's already so I don't like the idea of putting a western on it in case something goes down at night, they're not interchangeable at that point.
  7. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

I have a Blizzard 810 on mine and sometimes ten feet isn't wide enough. Don't even waste your time with an 8'6". Not only are your rear wheels eight feet across, they are a heck of a long ways from the front of the truck, so as soon as you turn the wheel or angle the plow you are in the snow with the outside rears. The truck will handle it fine, just look around to find a shop other than a new plow dealer who will install it, or do it yourself it's not hard. Then just be sure to carry a lot of weight because first off the rear wheels divide the weight going to the ground, and the heavy plow up front acts as a lever and fulcrum and lightens the rear wheels even more. That's why people think duallies don't plow well, you just need more ballast weight than a single rear wheel. If you run a sander you'll be fine.
  8. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

If you can sell the truck and make some money, go for it. Unless you have another use for that land yacht.
  9. GimmeSnow!!

Thanks for the feedback guys