1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Cant have anything nice

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by 04f250fisher, Jun 14, 2009.

1. 04f250fisher

04f250fisher Senior Member

I was hit by a 17 year old girl who just got her licence...:realmad: New fender, both headlights and fog lights new bumper and radiator support and new front tire. Oh well should be good as new next week

100_1832.jpg

100_1837.jpg

100_1836.jpg

2. albhb3

albhb3 PlowSite Veteran

dont you know women cant drive

3. 7.3 Plower

7.3 Plower Senior Member

Will someone show this to Jodi Rell?

Maybe if you show her enough accidents under her current laws she'll realize she can't legislate stupidity.

Wait. What am I saying? She'll say she needs tighter laws to prevent further incidents...

I hope your truck gets fixed right. If it looks good as new once it's done please let me know where you had it done. Mine needs some body work and I don't know any good body shops around here.

4. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Jodi Rell is my neighbor (not directly) Her husband is also in the volunteer FD with me.

So what law do you think caused this accident? How is she responsible? The two last driving law changes both passed with overwhelming majority in both houses of the state legislature. Meaning even if she had vetoed them they would have been overidden. As a fireman, I have seen a decrease in serious accidents which involve younger drivers.

Accidents happen, and we are taking 04's word that it was the girls fault. There are at least three sides to every story. However, her age and sex, have nothing to do with it. He could have avoided that accident, driven into West Hartford and been hit by you, or a middle aged man.

IMO if you really wanted to make the roads safer, one would start retesting middle aged and elderly drivers every so many years (we see more accidents involving people over 55). That will never happen though as they are now and will continue to be the largest population group and since most legislators are that age, you will not see them punish themselves.

04 sorry about the accident. Overall looks pretty minor, should be a straight forward fix.

5. ColumbiaLand

ColumbiaLand Senior Member

That Sucks, Thats what insurance is for. Good luck with the fix

6. groundbreakers

groundbreakers Senior Member

make sure they do a good job with the repair work ... the last body shop that repaired my other truck screwed up a $3,000 dollar job and that was 9 yrs ago ... goood luck

7. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

Cant have anything nice? There were no Dodges for sale in area?

8. 04f250fisher

04f250fisher Senior Member

Why so it falls apart on impact?? An 05 dodge hit me and it fell apart.It probly helped that i was at the top of a hill and rolled back a bit as i saw it coming. The only reason id buy a dodge is the cummings and my powerstroke does the job just fine. Sorry dave just seen to many dodges that rot out.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2009
  9. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

Yeah the old Dodges have Door issues. But I have seen alot more ford with rusting beds above the wheel. From what I have been told its some foam they line the wheel well with. Plus they rot out front fenders. None of them are perfect. if they were we would never buy new trucks

10. 7.3 Plower

7.3 Plower Senior Member

I'm not saying Jodi caused it, but obviously you can't legislate stupidity. And you're just in the wrong area of the state to see fatalities. We had 2 within the last 3 months. Both due to excessive speed.

The more recent of the 2 was due to the kid doing 120mph down the road presumably to try to get the car airborne. He hit a tree and was killed on impact. That is what the police said. I've seen the site off the accident on my way to pick up some parts and that is the only logical explanation I can see.

The other was on March 1st. Three kids from Lyman Hall were going down Whirlwind Hill Rd. in Wallingford. Two vehicles were there only one was involved in the accident. The three kids in the car that crashed were Seniors playing some game that all the Seniors at Lyman Hall play apparently. The kid driving lost control of the car and went into a tree. One kid wasn't wearing his seatbelt and died in the hospital a few days after the crash.

Laws aren't going to help. You can't legislate common sense into people. It cannot possibly happen. Jodi and her friends in state legislature seem to think that you can. Or that's what they've been showing.

It just chaps my a** that people who don't do stupid crap are getting punished because other people screwed up.

If the kid is already going 120 down a back road trying to catch air with his car do you think he's going to care if he breaks another law or two?

The gov't all goes around yelling about how we need to carpool and save resources and everything, but they won't let me drive another kid on the soccer team home after practice. That means his parents have to drive all the way there and back instead of me going the extra 200 feet to drop him off at home.

(Yes in theory his parents could take me, but I can't fit a mower in their car in order to mow my grandparents lawn on my way home from school)

It's just stupid the amount of hypocrisy that goes on.

I'm not saying I disagree with all the laws that were passed, but they really dropped the ball when they changed the requirements on August 1st.

They added 9 questions or so to the permit test. Big deal. Still easy.

They added 8 hours of drug and alcohol classes to drivers ed. That's nice, but most of the fatalities we've had involving teenage drivers were due to excessive speed. Not intoxication.

They increased the on-road hours from 20 to 40. In theory that's good. In practice the driving school still only does 8 hours on-road and you are supposed to do 32 with your parents. Mine made me, but if the parents are careless enough to let the kid go around doing 120 down back roads they won't care if they actually did 32 hours on-road with their kid or not.

Lowered the allowable BAC for individuals under 18: Again that's good, but most fatalities were excessive speed and not intoxication.

Harsher penalties if caught driving drunk or speeding 15mph or more over the limit: That's one I agree with. Now they just have to catch the people before they kill themselves.

They eliminated the written test to get your license: Yes they did. Don't try to tell me different. I got my permit after August 1st. I took NO written test to get my license. Only a written permit test and an on-road test with a DMV inspector. BAD IDEA. There goes any incentive to pay attention in drivers ed. I believe there is legislation in progress to put it back in place though. Not 100% sure.

Added an extra hour on the curfew: I guess that's ok. Doesn't concern me much. There are allowances in it so that it doesn't apply if you have to work or anything like that.

Banned ALL use of cell phones or handheld electronics for under 18 drivers:
    GOOD CALL! :D xysport A lot of the people at my school have a hard enough time driving even without being distracted by a cellphone/iPod when they're driving.

To clarify: It's not the music on the iPod that's bad. It's fiddling with it when you should be watching the road.

Pretty much all of what you said I agree with. I'm not trying to lay blame on this specific accident here. I'm making a general statement that no matter how much you legislate accidents WILL happen.

And I agree on re-testing people after a certain period of time. I think that if we started re-testing people every 10 years we'd see a reduction of the number of stupid accidents we see.

I think a reaction test of some sort would be good as well.

Edit: Sorry for writing a book, all.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2009
  11. sven_502

sven_502 Senior Member
    from ontario

Where I live cell phones are now actually banned, which I think is a good idea, but bluetooth and stuff like hands free onstar are allowed. I dont know if Ipods are banned are not, but they should be. I'm done high school as of now, but the school parking lot has to be the most dangerous place to drive I can think of. Kids going 50mph in a parking lot full of cars, I'm actually wondering how nobody's died yet.

With the Ipods, fiddling is bad, but the problem is people driving with them in their ears, they can't hear traffic or anything. Thats got to be the dumbest thing I've ever seen on a road, either buy a stereo or live without it.

At my work the other day some 17 or 18 year old girl who clearly just got her license came around the corner and drove completely over the CURB, and smashed into the back of one of our customers vans. Had my co worker been standing there loading the van like he had been 2 mins before, he would've been dead. Blocked up our parking lot for an hour for crying out loud. The sad part is her insurance is probably still cheaper than mine, because females are "safer" drivers. Slower doesnt mean safer.

I think the female insurance thing needs to be looked at again, because maybe they were safer back in the day when that law was made, but nowadays no way. With the introduction of cell phones, so now they text while they drive, not a chance they are safer. I almost got hit in the side on the highway the other day by some dumb b***h who was texting and almost changed lanes into my truck. This isnt the only case either.

I really think there isnt anything we can do though, because introducing more laws doesnt decrease stupidity in people, breeding does. I think kids should be introduced to automotive toys such as go karts, atvs, etc, and by the time they are 12, be driving cars around in parking lots with dad getting a good feel for the vehicle around pilons etc.

I cant remember where I heard it, but the best way for people to get on the path to being a good driver is to actually ride a bicycle, believe it or not, because it teaches you about motion, feel for a vehicle, vision (look where your going, unbelievable how many people cant do it). So really there is no excuse for being a bad driver.

One other thing, dont know about where you live, but drivers ed should be MANDATORY, not optional. I could've taught the class myself, but I was shocked how many people didnt know anything at all.

And to the guy who posted his truck originally, sorry to see that that sucks, hope it turns out good, and post some pics for us. Sorry to continue the guy above's book.