1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Can't hardly plow with this setup! Help.....

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by neetchracer, Dec 12, 2005.

1. neetchracer

neetchracer Junior Member

I used to have an 84 Chevy half ton, small suspension lift, fat 33" tall tires with an old Western cable controlled plow. Worked pretty well, but the truck was a heap, wanted something dual purpose(I drag race in the summer and wanted a truck that could pull my trailer also)

I bought a standard cab, 95 Chevy k2500, over 8600 GVW(8 lugs). I also bought a used UNIMOUNT with a Pro Plow, 7.5'.

I am amazed at how far the front comes down when you pickup the plow. The biggest problem is that it feels like the rear is VERY light with the plow in the air. The tires spin ALOT and I almost got stuck three times last snow day.

I was thinking of turning up the torsion bars to level the ride height without the plow(it sits kinda low in the front without the plow anyway)

I was also thinking about putting weight in the back. What do you think?

2. Brett K

Brett K Member

That should take care of the problem assuming you have a good set of tires. If the front still drops too much, I would add Timbrens. Does the truck have a plow prep package?

3. mmwb

mmwb Senior Member
    from wyoming

Do you have ballast in the bed?

4. JMR

JMR Senior Member

Crank up the bars add 500 lbs of ballast and make sure you have a good set of tires.

First snow this season I started out in my new to me truck (95 Chevy). I thought the tires would get me by for a storm or two till I got some new rubber. I got my personal drive plowed and found out the tires sucked so bad I headed straight to the shop for the backup truck. I put some good rubber on it and it plows like a beast.........man what a difference good tires make. Even by the end of our last push my ballast was down to about 200lbs since I use bags of salt and it still got around great.

5. norrod

norrod Senior Member

Yeah, you might want to think about your tires.

They're probably too wide. Lot's of contact patch, good for muddin, but bad for snow. Need more psi to the ground.

6. neetchracer

neetchracer Junior Member

No ballast..................but I do have at least 300#'s of steel bars(2-150 a piece) available to bolt into the bed.

I have less than 1000 miles on my oem wheeled tires..............BUT..............there is a catch, these tires don't have a super agressive pattern, closer to a road style pattern. They do have nice deep grooves.

Right now I'm thinking ballast and raising the torsion bars is what I'm gonna do.

Thanks, is there anything else.

7. NJBuickRacer

NJBuickRacer Member

My old pickup was similar to what you described, but it was an '87 with leaf springs. Timbrens and 4-500 lbs ballast in the bed fixed it for me. Now I use a '90 Suburban 3/4 ton, pulls the race trailer with ease and doesn't need any ballast.

8. rcpd34

rcpd34 Senior Member
    from MD

Maybe I'm missing something, but in 1984 they had solid front axles with leaf springs. The torsion bars weren't introduced intil 1988 on the pickups and 1992 on the Blazer and Suburbans. :confused:

9. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

Go back and READ his post.....Old truck "84 , NEW truck "95

10. rcpd34

rcpd34 Senior Member
    from MD

I see that now that you pointed it out so politely...