1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Can't get plow to move - Unimount

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by joshrlc, Dec 8, 2012.

1. joshrlc

joshrlc Junior Member

I purchased a Western Unimount w/ a straight blade, and joy stick. I have it all mounted up to my 1990 Dodge Ram 250 and it seems to have power. The ignition switch turns on the red light on the controller and all of the lights work fine. However, when I move the joystick, nothing happens. No click, no tick, no nothing. I did put a screwdriver across the solenoid to see what I could get to happen and it just turned the plow to the right.

The guy I bought the plow from hooked it up to his truck and everything worked flawlessly (with his wiring). So the plow mechanicals itself are fine. It has to be on the truck side of things. Could it be a bad solenoid? It's brand new (not that that means anything). I am literally out of ideas here.

Thanks for your help.

2. joshrlc

joshrlc Junior Member

Oh, my other thought was that it has a bad controller. Is that common? It has a joystick controller. But like I said, that is getting power (has red light on). But it seems there is a disconnect between the controller and plow.

Any help would be huge!

3. ScubaSteve728

ScubaSteve728 Senior Member

try his controller on it with your truck. other than that double check all your wiring
  4. clark lawn

clark lawn PlowSite.com Addict
    from NE ohio

Use a test light and see if you get power to the exciter wire on the solenoid. Also check ALL your grounds.
  5. Sharpcut 1

Sharpcut 1 Senior Member

Your solenoid should click even with the plow unhooked on a unimount. Do you have a 4 post solenoid?? Is the orange/red wire going to ground?? Old style wiring sometimes has to be modified to work with a handheld, but will work with joystick because of the way the original wiring was grounded.
  6. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

Hmm.... are you sure ??? The relay / solenoid will click if the headlight plug is connected but the motor plug can be apart. That way you don't get squished when it angles.

What you could do is get someone to hold the controller in up positon and then jump the relay. If it goes up then you know the controller is working. But I would be putting a test light across the small terminals of the relay. If it lights up when you hit up, left or right on the control then replace your relay / solenoid. If the test light does not light up then you have a power issue, possibly the hand held controller or the ground for the relay.

Not sure what kind of electrical system you have but some of that generation of plow had a wire going from one of the small lugs on the relay right to the battery negative. + power was sent from the controller to the other small lug to activate it. If the ground side wire is broken or corroded that may be the problem.

If you still can't figure it out tell us a bit more about it. I assume it has two plugs at the grill and has relays for headlights. How many pins in the grill plug with the small pins? 12, 9 or 7? And did the guy who installed it use original Western parts or did he jerry-rig it?
  7. joshrlc

joshrlc Junior Member

You guys who suggested grounds were right. The main ground from the plow was fine (bolt on the alternator) but I didn't know about the orange/black wire on the solenoid needed to be grounded too. Basically without it, the solenoid switch wasn't able to "trip". I didn't have that wire and didn't have a diagram so I was throwing darts in the dark. I found a wiring diagram online and noticed that it had a ground on the solenoid. Bingo!!!!

8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Move that directly to the negative battery terminal now. You have yourself set up for issues.