1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

cant get front brake caliper off

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by plowin207, Oct 5, 2010.

1. plowin207

plowin207 Member

my abs light has been on and i just kind of ignored it for a while casue my brakes were working fine. well i felt something funny in the front end while turning right so i got under the truck to look. i found my ABS wheel sensor wire ripped about six inches from the hub.:gunsfiring: so im trying to take the brake caliper off so i can get to the screw to take it out but i cant get the bolts free:mad::mad::mad:. does any one have any advice i have tried a breaker bar, pb blast breaker bar again. some more pb blast impact gun. pb blast breaker bar again. does anyone have a trick or easy way to get this off costing the least amount of money.

2. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

24 in breaker bar? Never had one yet that that wont get off. Breaker bar and pipe if needed, breaking the bolt no big deal get a semi loaded caliper it will come with a new bracket if needed. Sometimes hitting the bolt with a air hammer will help loosen it Just be carefull not to mash it so a socket will no longer fit.

3. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

Heat it up nice and hot.

4. plowin207

plowin207 Member

i thought about heat but is it actually safe to use on the bolt. without ruining anything. and how hot should i get it obviously i don't think i should get it red hot

5. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

Just keep it away from the brake line. Don't want to melt it obviously. I have heated things many times and it 1. always works and 2. has not caused any problems. HOWEVER, I am not a mechanic or an expert on how the heat will affect the bolt so do not take my advice as 100% fact.

6. 496 BB

496 BB Senior Member

You can heat it. A propane torch wont get it all that hot. Just be careful heating it up after spraying on PB. Will flame up for a sec but shouldnt be big. Id put a closed end wrench on it and tap it with a hammer. Get a better impact on it maybe borrow one.

I always take the jack handle and unscrew the two pieces and slide the longer one over the wrench or ratchet and use that as a breaker bar. Works sometimes. If that dont work head to the gym and find some young hotshot and tell him you bet he isnt strong enough to get these bolts off. Thats works for both you. He gets another hard on about his strength and you get your bolts free :D

7. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting PlowSite.com Addict

Don't heat the bolt...heat up where the threads of the bolt go in on the break caliper bracket, this will heat up the lock-tite and it should walk right out and you can use a small propane torch for this.

8. BlizzardBeater

BlizzardBeater Senior Member
    from Maine

DJ is correct, if possible heat the caliper mounting bracket where the bolt threads in evenly. Then, if its a later model truck it should be an E55 torx, take the socket and place it on the bolt as if you would try to loosen it and give it a couple good whacks with a large hammer. The socket will protect the head of the bolt. Then grab your breaker bar and a large cheater bar to put over it for leverage. The trick is a lot of slow even pressure, quick jabs or jerks are how bolts get broken. Done literally hundreds and hundreds of these, they are all freakin hard as heck to break loose, a lot of times even air guns wont budge em!

9. plowin207

plowin207 Member

thanks for the advice i got it off before reading the rest of these after my post. i heated the bottom and not the top casue of the brake line and got it out with the breaker bar.