1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Can't get 4 wheel drive...plz Help

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by AUB1, Nov 16, 2009.

1. AUB1

AUB1 Member

I have a 95 Sierra, 4.3 with a newer MM2. I'm geting it ready for the season...just had a new manifold put on, some other work also. The problem I'm having is I can't get the truck into 4 wheel drive. My Buddy who's a backyard Machanic is doing the work...that's all I can afford. Anyway he tells me it's at the transfer case. I was spraying lub up front where the bars are but he tells me it's at the transfer case and he's been working it but he says he doesn't want to heat anything cause he'd melt some rubber gaskets, [I think thats what he said], and also he doesn't want to heat the allunium[sp].
    As you can tell, I'm not a mechanic...and he's not a computer Guy but he asked me to ask you Guys and maby someone could have an answer for us. Keep in mind I shot my financial wad already on parts....Thanks in advance

2. Top Dog

Top Dog Member

4wd

The first truck i started with was a GMC and had an issue that no one could solve until I took it to the dealer and come to find out they use a engaging system that as i recall heat up thru an element and that melts wax which in turn engages the 4WD well of course no one ever heard of that element going bad but it did pop a new one on and off we went in 4WD not sure but worth a shot and I am by no means a wrench turner but thought i would pass it along

good luck !!!

3. ticki2

ticki2 Senior Member
    from NH

Does the transfer case lever move to the 4wd possition? If it does it's probably the motor on the front axle that engages the axles and not the TC. Some in those years had a vacuum motor and some had elec. It will look like a 4-6 in cylinder mounted on the front axle. My memory is a little fuzzy. Check the manual if you have one.

PS where in NS , love it up there

4. WeDoSnowplowing

WeDoSnowplowing Senior Member

Question does the fuse blow? What kind of Four Wheel Drive Actuator vacuum or electric? Where there any Front end work done? If so a clip may have fallen off Inside the front pumpkin. This happen every time I have my ball joints replaced or CV joints replaced. If fuse keeps blowing could be a short in the electric Four Wheel Drive Actuator this happen to me 2 times.

5. WeDoSnowplowing

May need to check vacuum lines. If is a vacuum Four Wheel Drive Actuator.

6. Deco

Deco Senior Member

Manual or vacuum. Vacuums are notorious for blown fuses or a failed vacuum hose .Solid axle or cv joints? I'd try changing the fluid in the case first. Try this ... put the transmission in neutral then transfer case in 4h or 4L then transmission back in gear.Hope this helps

Last edited: Nov 16, 2009
  7. AUB1

AUB1 Member

I'm in the Annapolis Valley, Wolfville and yes, it's nice up here. The 4 wheel drive actuator....Now I remember. You know I was just talking with a Buddy tonight about how your memory goes after the age of 50...at least I think that's what what we were talking about, I can't really remember! But the actuator. Now I remember that last year another Buddy and I had to rig mine up so it worked. If my memory serves me right, and I can't remember if it does, we had to frig with it on my kitchen table to get it working cause I couldn't find another one, or it was really expensive or something. I think it has a piston that pushes out of a cylinder encased in rubber, and it actuated the 4x4, thus the name, actuator. Maby someone could let me know if that's right. The thing is though, the shifter feels like it's seazed or something....it just won't move at all, and I don't want to grab it with both hands and really force it cause as you know, us Nova Scotia Men are Monsters....yeah right.

8. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

The front axle actuator is what you're referring to. It sounds like the older style unit which you're describing. They had more of a tendency to fail. There is an updated unit, the older style may not even be available any longer. You should check the rest of the system to confirm that the actuator is getting power. It sounds like you've got a manual shift transfer case. There is a switch on the case which sends power to the actuator when the case is shifted into 4WD. Check for power at the switch, and at the actuator when the case is shifted. If your shifter is working hard, it may be getting seized up from rust or lack of use. Lube it up and get it working freely. If it's not shifting the case all the way, it may not be closing the switch on the case.

Also... there's no vacuum involved on that system.

9. the new boss 92

the new boss 92 2000 Club Member

there is a accturator in the frount end to the right of the pumpkin if your looking at the frount of the truck. take it out and put it in 4 wheel,if it doesnt extend then it is bad and replace it. they are about 90 bucks at auto zone or advanced auto

10. cubicinches

Unless it's not getting any power, then you can replace it and it still won't work. :dizzy:

11. AUB1

AUB1 Member

Cubicinches I think you nailed it, I'll see tomorrow and yup, it's shifting real hard. How would you suggest I lube the shifter properly. I've had the truck for a few years now and that shifter's always been really stiff....It never worked that good. Come to think of it I don't think I could get 4 low last year. I didn't need it so it wasn't an issue but use it or lose it right?
    Thanks for your help

12. cubicinches

Keep lubing up the linkage with some good penetrating oil. Might require some heat too, gotta be careful though, sometimes there's plastic bushings in the linkage. Or it might need to be disassembled if it's real bad.

13. WeDoSnowplowing

What some 4 Wheel drive accturators look like

Here is what to look for: Make sure the plug has power for one that need electric DC. Inspect the vacuum lines fopr the one the run by vacuum.

Vacuum accturator 1.jpg

Vacuum accturator 2.jpg

5.jpg

8.jpg

8.1.jpg

14. the new boss 92

the new boss 92 2000 Club Member

true, i would just pop it out and pull the shifter back and see if you got any power going to it!

15. cubicinches

That's the ticket... :)

16. AUB1

AUB1 Member

Thanks Guys for all the help....this site sure is helpful and entertaining.
    Anyway here's what it was. As I suspected, it was the shifter seized from lack of use since last winter. And like I said, It never worked properly...I've never had the truck in 4low. I eliminated the acuator by taking it out and running power to it...it works fine. By the way thanks for the pics wedosnowplowin.
    So, we tryed a lot of elbow grease and some heat and it freed up. I kept workig it and working it, and we heated it several times, being careful not to get it TOO hot, and the light came on finally...[by the way, that light is in no way bright enough but that's another thread]. So then I drove the truck to town and after 45 minutes or so it was close to being impossible to move again. I was alone then so I just worked the shifter, getting out and under to apply lube....I hope I don't break or seriously bend anything by pushing and pulling on the shifter so much. I guess the transfer case should be taken apart but I don't really have the time, so I guess just lubing and working it, and I hope it ends up working better. Maby someone could let me know if there's an easier way.
    Thanks again! and I hope everybody's doing the snow dance. Now I have to to get the plow hooked up. Over the summer I moved the platform I have it on...minute mount me ass!! I've rasselled with that thing for hours sometimes. Then other times it IS a true MM. Well I guess one problem at a time on the site

17. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

There is. Remove the plastic surround from the shifter and scrape out all the accumulated rust and corrosion and other nasty's from around the shifter pivot as that's where the issue lies and them Fluid Film the life out of it to prevent further issues.

You can heat and lube all you want from the underside but you won't get it...it has to be done from the top side.

18. AUB1

AUB1 Member

Well, so it's not binding or seizing up inside the transfer case? You're saying my problem is just below the shifter, where the bars connect to GO to the TC. Yo be honest it doesn't feel like the problem is right there but I will for sure address that tomorrow....Thank You

19. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Yes it's usually the shifter pivot itself that seizes up. But if you first need to positively identify that simple disconnect the sifter rod from the transfer case and move it by hand. If it's still very tight then you know it's the culprit.

Now if it move easily then yes you have an issue internal to the transfer case...which of course will require disassembly. And normally on the 241 T-cases when they get tough to shift it's because it was run low on fluid.

20. AUB1

AUB1 Member

Thanks again...I have a stupid question. I think I'm on my own tomorrow..how do I check the fluid in the TC? I think thre's a window to check fluid there but it seems to me mine's all cloudy. I want to make sure the truck's all ready to start plowing....I can feel snow 'a commin