1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Can't find the name of this ice melt.....

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by JeffNY, Jan 17, 2007.

1. JeffNY

JeffNY Senior Member

There was a Boss dealer telling me about this stuff he's getting in this year, from what I remember...

Non-corrosive
    Pet safe
    doesn't kill grass
    doesn't turn things white
    green (i think)
    corn meal/feed type texture
    twice the price of the normal rocksalt

2. Jeff, except for the corn meal, it sounds like Magic Salt. www.magicsalt.info Hope this helps you out. Tim

3. JeffNY

JeffNY Senior Member

Yeah, I was looking at that, but the guy said this stuffs green, I'll call him later.
    Thanks

4. I thought you meant Environmentally Green maybe it is green in color. lol

5. JeffNY

JeffNY Senior Member

Magic Salt safe on decks?

6. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Caliber M1000???

www.anti-icers.com

There's Geo-Melt out of a company in Iowa as well.

The newly reformulated ClearLane is green as well.

PS For you guys in the NE there are other additives for salt other than Magic.

7. We have used Magic Salt on a wooden ramp at a doctors office for 3 years with no problems. Our steps at our office are wood and we use it on them as well.

8. JeffNY

JeffNY Senior Member

I called em, It's called Pure Melt. $15/50# bag. Little pricy. I pay $4/50# of the diamond crystals stuff.

screw that, Can't even find anything about it, John Deere landscaping I guess makes it. I got a price of $12.50/50# for Magic Salt though, that the going rate?

Last edited: Jan 17, 2007
  9. draffinc

draffinc Member

Mark,

Are you still sore on magic?
    Darren

10. kashman

kashman PlowSite.com Addict

go with the lesco melt........................same shyt $9.00 bag if you buy 1 bag

11. elmo1537

elmo1537 Senior Member

magic in our area is going for 16.99 per 50 bag

12. Mark Oomkes

Nope, just trying to expand some horizons. I'd do the same thing if somebody was suggesting only one kind of plow for everybody as some do.

$16.99 a bag?? Holy crap, for that price it ought to spread itself.

13. draffinc

draffinc Member

mark,

who's the dealer in your area?

Darren

14. brunosplace

brunosplace Senior Member

$14.58/ 50lb here!! where did you get that price?

15. elmo1537

elmo1537 Senior Member

I stand corrected. I looked at the wrong price.

16.99 is retail suggested
    14.50 is actual cost

Sorry to get you guy all wound up.

16. Mark Oomkes

darren, still waiting for the info from Taconic to see if I want to become a dealer. IT was supposed to be to me the second week in December.

elmo, that's still really, really high compared to what I paid. Granted I got a truckload and it was a few years ago, but I still say for that price it ought to spread itself.

17. elmo1537

elmo1537 Senior Member

Of course if you want to buy bulk it will be a lot cheaper. For instance if you were to buy a pallet of magic it would be 12.50 per bag. Individual bags are 14.50. Buy it by the tractor trailer load and i guarntee you can get a better price.

18. GREENGOER1

GREENGOER1 Junior Member
    from NY

Magic?

Is it really magic? Or: Now you see it....now you don't see your $$.:realmad:

19. elmo1537

elmo1537 Senior Member

Magic isnt the next best thing since sliced bread but it is damn close. It is amazing the difference between treated magic salt and regular rock salt. I am sure some other treated products work very well I just cant really say as I have only used straight rock salt, calcium and magic.