1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

can't find backup lights

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Detroitdan, Mar 8, 2009.

1. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

I have had some awesome rubber mount tractor-style backup lights mounted under the bumper for years, they were the best I've ever tried. The round rubber ones I was never impressed with, found these rectangular trapezoidal ones on ebay and love them. The beam spread is far better, and the rubber is much softer and flexes better, so they really resist breaking when you back into snowbanks.

Two storms ago one bulb fell out. I took the other bulb out to get the number off it, and local parts store couldn't cross reference it. So I then took the number and hunted hard online for it. No dice, maybe the number has been changed or something? Couldn't even find anything on GE website. In the meantime, I plowed another storm during which the snowbanks had become frozen solid and I backed into one and smashed the good remaining bulb. So now I can't even doublecheck to verify the number I had written down the first time. I think it was GE H4069, or maybe 4096, I forget right now.

Anyway, I loved these lights and don't want to replace them with the crap I've tried before. I wish I could figure out where to find replacement bulbs without having to buy all new lights, that probably won't be so awesome and last five years of me smashing them up against things.

I actually have pictures of the lights on the truck, but I can't find them right now on this computer.

2. rollin snow

rollin snow Junior Member

truck lites make a good spot can be found at agood truck stop that has a chrome / lite shop about 25$ made of rubber to.ussmileyflag

3. rollin snow

also trucklites.com let me know if u can find

4. rollin snow

:yow!:they r super bright 55watts one is al u need

5. festerw

festerw Senior Member

6. rollin snow

ussmileyflag3" round rubber

7. festerw

festerw Senior Member

Next time read the post first, since he put this in the first one

8. Dustball

Dustball Senior Member

The part number should be stamped into the base of the bulb. Do you still have the lamp base?

9. Detroitdan

Before I smashed the second one, I pulled it out and wrote the number down and tried to have the auto parts place cross reference it. Apparently I'm an idiot, because I wrote it down totally wrong. I remembered I have another light mounted on my sander which is off the truck, I went and checked that bulb and the number is 9046, not 4069. Don't know how I screwed that up so bad, but at least now I have something to go on. I was afraid I'd have to start over with all new lights. After going through so many and finally being happy with these ones, I really wasn't looking forward to having some substandard ones again.

Seriously folks, everybody uses the round rubber mount ones and seems to like them, but I promise you if you tried this kind you'd never want to go back either.

Thanks for the input.

10. Detroitdan

oops, apparently I goofed again. further research shows it is H9406. they aren't cheap, either!

11. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Hummm, Time for new glasses?

12. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Depends on what you call "not cheap".

Here's were I get bulbs from time to time. Good prices in most cases. Bulb Man Inc.

13. Detroitdan

I don't even wear glasses. I can definitely tell that my eyesight is not as good as it once was, but I still pass eye tests with a 20/20 and they say it's perfect. I don't know what it used to be, but I was once able to amaze people by reading things from long distances.
    Wasn't so much that I couldn't read them, it was more a matter of misreading them. I think the first time I looked at it upside down, the second time I just failed to read it correctly. I should add that my current work schedule doesn't allow me to get any regular sleep, which I definitely think is killing my brain.

B&B, that's one of the better prices I've seen (I still think they should be $5), most places are around $30 apiece. I'm currently checking out a couple places and comparing totals with shipping to see who's cheapest. I think I'm only going to buy one, then put the one from the sander on the truck. I never even use the one on the sander, but if I decide I want to I've got some old cheapy foglights I can throw on there inside. Don't need much on a sander.

14. Dustball

Dustball Senior Member

Ryder Fleet- http://www.ryderfleetproducts.com/c...actor-Flood-Blade-Term/erm/product_detail.jsp

I believe these all interchange since they fit in the same housing-

Sealed Beam - All Weather 9421
    Sealed Beam - Spot Clear Halogen H9405
    Sealed Beam - Flood clear Halogen H9406
    Sealed Beam - Utility clear Halogen H9411
    Sealed Beam - Flood Clear Halogen H9414
    Sealed Beam - Fog Clear Halogen H9415
    Sealed Beam - Fog Amber Halogen H9415A
    Sealed Beam - Driving Clear Halogen H9420

http://www.grote.com/prodcat/perlux/service.html

Last edited: Mar 9, 2009
  15. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

16. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

You try a local truck stop? They might have them. I used the rubber ones my local OTR truck shop has, like $14 or something. Par36 standard bulbs I think, which I think are 4 inch. (I know, I know, he wants 3 inch)

17. Detroitdan

Found one on ebay for like 8 bucks plus shipping. Cost me around $14 overall. Took the other one out of the housing I put on my sander. I don't really need one on the sander, and if I decide I want a light on there I'll just put one of the half dozen mismatched leftover old driving/fog lights I have laying around the garage.