1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Can't Find a Truck.

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by grass happens, Nov 12, 2008.

1. grass happens

grass happens Junior Member

I wasn't planning on plowing this season, but now that I have decided to, I can't find a truck/plow set-up. I have called/e-mailed on over 110 trucks, and nothing. They are either gone before I can get there, junk or 80+ miles away. The one that I found i my town was an 88 2500 chev with a 7.5 uni-, but it was rattlecaned, bondo'd and had lots of issues to fix. He wanted 3000, I offered 2000, no bite. I relize for my budget, $3000, that I am not going to get a prom date, but I would like a truck i dont have to worry about starting, or one with a title. Am i looking for too much this late in the game? I'm only going to be doing some resi's and some subin for a freind, not too much. Should I just plan on a cozy winter of video games and snowblowers?
  2. KGRlandscapeing

KGRlandscapeing 2000 Club Member

welcome to my world the last 2 months i have beat craigslist looking and had my eye on a blazer and my mom went to rusty and that was the only thing so far that was worth an offer really. i mean i have zero budget but i wanna get it so if it needs some work i can do it with out freezing to death.
  3. stroker79

stroker79 2000 Club Member

I would stay in cozy playing with snowblowers and videogames.

You most likely wont find much for 3 grand with a plow. Heck plows alone cost more than that.
  4. daninline

daninline Senior Member

I sold my truck last year for 4 grand with a V box sander and 8 foot plow i wish you guys were here then :(

Good luck with the hunt. There is a tool out there that will let you search different citys at the same time for Craigslist do a search for craigs list on stroids and it should find it.

5. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Welcome grass happens to the site and I second the staying home part. Wait till this winter is over and THEN look for a bargain.
  6. red07gsxr

red07gsxr Senior Member
    from meriden

i know i live to far away but i have a 89 chevrolet 2500hd 4x4 reg cab long bed, 107k miles with a fisher 7 1/2 ft plow. its not a rust bucket either. $4K. A little more then your budget but its a strong truck.
  7. grass happens

Yea, I might be able to swing the truck, but unless it can get here on its own using no fuel...
    Thanks though....
  8. grass happens

Yea, I know. After last years huge snow events, everybody and their brother is putting a plow on anything with wheels. That's why I didn't want to do it now, but now its in my head and the search has become an all encompassing mission. IF we have a crappy winter this year, I'm sure I wont be able to spit without hitting a plow truck. I have no idea why i am so gun-ho for it, In all actuality after the third plow, I want to mow again. I'm waiting to see if that guy with the 88 sold the truck or not, but it needs a fair amount of work...
  9. stroker79

stroker79 2000 Club Member

well ill speak to the fact that everyone wants to plow this year. My dad bought a new truck a month ago and ordered a boss plow for it on the 30th of october. it was supposed to be in but the distributor who had started 2 months ago with 500 plows is totally sold out so now they are backed up on orders. Luckily most of all the new people dont have any experiance so i dont see them as any real threat.
  10. AndyTblc

AndyTblc Senior Member

I don't know how far you're wanting to travel or how much but if you look on craigslist in the grand rapids area, there are a ton of plow trucks.
  11. scitown

scitown Senior Member

I was on a budget of $7000 last winter and was so sick of people not returning my calls and emails. I finally made a post saying that people selling trucks on craigslist should follow up or stop posting ads. I did find a truck around the middle of Dec after searching for three months. Stay on it. You will find something. Not a bad thing if you either save up and go for it next year with a higher budget. Amazing how much or a jump in plow trucks you can find if you double the budget you have now.
  12. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

You can't get a truck with a plow that takes an inspection sticker for under $3000. If you want a Chevy don't get a 1988 or 1989 they are nown for having rusted out frames. I personaly think 1987 is the best year it is feul injected and it it's the old body style.
  13. scitown

scitown Senior Member

Is this a good truck for under $3000?

I would say it is. I also know you saw this post because you were the first person to reply.

Whats your deal?
  14. sechracer

sechracer Senior Member

ANY 20 year old truck will have rust on the frame. As for as truck and plow combo, that "takes a sticker" thats not totally true.

Keep an eye out for something like an S-10 with a 6'6" blade on it. It would work great for doing driveways and should run a little cheaper than a full size.
  15. red07gsxr

red07gsxr Senior Member
    from meriden

i have a 90 k2500 and the frame looks better then some 2000 truck frames. they all dont rust horribly. thats one reason why i bought the truck. the frame looked amazing
  16. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

did you try ebay ?
  17. grass happens

I have tried everything short of knocking on peoples doors with old plow trucks.
    As for not fining a truck with an inspection sticker... i only need a sticker here if i get "D" plates.I don't need those. I am not planning on plowing for hours on end. Its been a couple of years since I have pushed, and would rather not end up over committed. I have a good friend that does quite a bit of plowing, and he would sub some smaller areas to me, as well as helping him with a large lot if necessary. After a decent 2-4" event, I would plan on being out 2-3 hours. I realize that a 3000$ truck will have issues, but I am somewhat mechanically inclined, and I have a plethora of friends who are mechanics and/or teach mechanics at the local Jr. college.