1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Can't figure it out

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by 042500hd, Dec 15, 2008.

1. 042500hd

042500hd Senior Member

I posted a couple weeks ago about a noise my 07' Sierra Classic 2500HD was making. It really sounds and feels like road noise. At about 65-70mph it's really loud and can be felt pretty good it feels like it's coming from the front end some where. Most recently it started doing it at 30-40mph as well but once it warms up it stops. My dealer swears it's road noise and I shouldn't be concerned. I think it's something else just don't know what. At any speed if I step on the gas and then off it will make the noise and it can be felt for a couple of seconds. If anyone has experienced this or has any thoughts let me know. Thanks. Truck just turned 54k.

2. 042500hd

042500hd Senior Member

No thoughts?

3. Bajak

Bajak Senior Member

I once had a bad tire where a few belts had broken and caused the tread to "lift" on the leading edge. It caused some vibration and road noise and took my mechanic and I almost a month to discover it. I think the tires were either Generals or Avivas, can't remember. I still ran like that for almost a year.

4. Bajak

Bajak Senior Member

Oh yeah, It was on the front too, so we just put them on the back so the vibration wasn't as noticeable.

5. 042500hd

042500hd Senior Member

Could it be a bad wheel bearing? My buddy who is not a mechanic suggested it. I have no idea what the indications of a bad bearing are though. What do you think?

6. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

Does not sound like it. Should change sounds when u change the position of the wheel while driving.And it wont go away when it warms up.

7. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

Have you checked your front diff fluid level?? I would check it and even change it to see if there are any metal shavings in it. Could also be a bad front driveshaft ujoint, cv shaft possibly?? Best way to check for a bad wheel bearing is to jack the front of the truck up and try to shake the tire. If it has alot of play like in and out play, good chance that you have a bad wheel bearing on your hands. Does it do this when the 4x4 is engaged??

8. 042500hd

042500hd Senior Member

Not as noticeable in 4 wheel. It is getting worse though and the dealer is standing behind their claim that it's the tires :realmad: At idle speed it feels like your brakes do when the pads are bad but I'm not braking. I'm just rolling along at 10mph then it kind of pulses the slower I get. ????

Will check the front diff fluid just had the t-case changed after I first heard this noise.

9. tras

tras Member

Balljoint maybe? Without hearing the noise its hard to say.

10. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Check your u-joints on your rear driveshaft. When you are in four wheel they do less work so are not under as much strain. Also second the tire comments.

11. LUCKY 7

LUCKY 7 Senior Member

Those trucks are notorious for taking out front wheel bearings- especially on the left side. I just saw another one yesterday. I can't say that I'm positive, but want you to know this is a very common problem. Have a good & reputable tire/brake/alignment shop check into this noise- they will be a far more knowledgeable opinion.

12. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

Have you opened the window to listen ??? Or Find an empty parking lot and have someone walk along side of trk to listen to the noise has you drive the trk........Or you walk along side as some one else dries......

13. 042500hd

042500hd Senior Member

Well....I jacked the truck up and checked for side to side play in the wheels. I was told if it was a bearing it would have some play. Everything was tight. I checked the u-joints also they seem tight but when I shift into reverse there is a pretty loud clank. Another hour and half at the dealer today and the guy who test drove it with me says the noise is normal. Here is exactly what happens.

When accelerating from 0 all the way up to 60mph there is no noise or vibration. As soon as i let off the gas (at any speed) I get the noise and vibration for a couple of seconds then it's gone. Once i go over 60 I get a vibration and noise constantly it sounds and feels just like a mud terrain tire driving on pavement. Kind of a hum. At 75mph the noise can almost be heard over the radio and it is shaking pretty good.

When moving at idle speed there is a faint noise but not nearly as noticeable as when moving at higher speeds.

I appreciate everyone's input. I'm really frustrated with my dealer. The tech who rode with me had the nerve not only to say that it was normal, but that if it was anything serious just wait until it breaks then they'll know for sure!!!!!!:dizzy: I'm a pretty patient person I'm not being ignorant to anyone at all but i want to either get it fixed or know what it is so i can stop worrying about breaking down while plowing. Maybe the above descrition is better and can point someone in a different direction. Thanks.

This problem is consistent and constant it does not come and go.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2008
  14. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

Best thing I can recommend now is find another dealer or a good, reputable mechanic to test it for you

15. 4u2nv

4u2nv Member

How did you check the U joint? Did you jack the rear of the truck up and put it into neutral to check for play?

16. carl b

carl b PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

why don't you rotate the tires and see if it helps its free

17. brad96z28

U can absolutely have a bad bearing and it will still be tight!!

18. brad96z28

My uncles truck with the factory tires Had similar issues.Mostly with the vibration on the highway. They had a ton of trouble with the factory tires. Do u still have the stock tires on it? How many miles are on the truck?

Last edited: Dec 17, 2008
  19. 042500hd

042500hd Senior Member

Had my buddy who is a mechanic at a Ford dealer take it for a ride. He is certain it's not the tires. After crawling under and checking some things out he's pretty sure it's not the u-joints. He did say that when he grabs the driveshaft where it enters the transmission and moves it he can hear a clicking coming from just inside. He says that could be normal for GM vehicles and can't say for certain if that what's causing my issue. He's waiting for someone to get back to him with their thoughts. Any of you guys want to chime in as to whether that's normal or not. I did the same thing he did and it doesn't feel loose at all just makes a clicking noise when you grabs it and push it up and down.

Thanks again. :drinkup:

20. mnic

mnic Junior Member

jack up the side you hear the noise from and turn the wheel by hand if its making noise than its the hub bearing than check the opposite side to hear if it sounds the same or not