1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Can't dismount MM1

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by Sweetride, Jan 6, 2014.

1. Sweetride

Sweetride Junior Member

I have a 99 silverado 2500. I purchased a setup off an 03 and swapped it all over. 8' MM1. I installed the plates and wiring, went and picked up the blade and it went on just any other MM1 I've had. Tilted the head gear a bit, pins lined right up and it went right on. I plowed two driveways the other night, left the plow on and went to take it off today. The headgear has zero play in it, one pin came out with a few taps of a hammer and the other is stuck. I tried to jack up the push plate, head gear, etc. I hit it with a hammer back and forth and it will rotate slightly, I got it half was out by tapping the ear and it was just inside the inside edge of the push plate and head gear but thats it. I had to go to work, so I decided to just put the pins back in and deal with it later. Now the passenger pin won't line back up. The plow is our of square to the push plates by 1/8" and I tried to push and drag it into alignment, nothing. I didn't try to move it alot because I was afraid I would break something. :help:

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Did you lower the lift ram completly before you tried to remove it?

3. Sweetride

Sweetride Junior Member

yes. it seems like something is binding the head gear. at this point the only thing I can think of is to try and cut the pin on both sides of the push plate to get it off and find the rub marks to see where its hitting and why. I tried to drag and then push it a foot on clean pavement to get the passenger pin to line back up and it won't. the headgear needs to go in to the pushplate another 1/8-1/4" for the hole to line up. I can't see what is holding the headgear mounting put out from the plate

Last edited: Jan 6, 2014
  4. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Did you push the lift ram all the way down before you tried to remove...again I ask

5. Sweetride

Sweetride Junior Member

the yes that started my last reply was to your previous question.

6. Sweetride

Sweetride Junior Member

I lifted the plow, rammed it into a snow bank a couple times and then it came off nice and easy. No clue what was stuck in there, but it came out. Next time I just have to remember not to be afraid to break something :mechanic:

7. myzx6

myzx6 Member

Make sure you spray the pins really good with a high quality grease. When I dismount my mm1 I use a small pry bar on the pins, between that and lube and I've never had a problem

8. Sweetride

Sweetride Junior Member

The pins are pretty worn and dimpled from rust. The whole thing has sat outside for over a year uncovered and neglected. I am going to go pick up new pins tomorrow and grease the crap out of everything. If it happens again, I'll just make sure I'm near a snow bank when I try to take it off :D

9. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

You sir need a bigger hammer. :mechanic:

Really though, make sure inside of push plates is clean and nothing is bent. Like posted above, grease the crap out of the pins.