1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Cant decide

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by BigD84, Feb 3, 2011.

1. BigD84

BigD84 Junior Member

Hey Guys, im looking to buy a new truck, I currently use my dads F- 250. But i want to get my own and get some more driveways to plow. I only want a handful to plow for the time being since i work during the day. Should i go with a 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton?
  2. JB1

JB1 Senior Member

use your dads, if you break it he can fix it.
  3. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

get a 3/4....you wont outgrow that truck
  4. Pinky Demon

Pinky Demon PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

Get a 3/4 ton. You will be able to mount almost anything on that truck blade wise.

STIHL GUY Senior Member
    from CT

i agree. a half ton will do the trick but you'll be ble to have a bigger plow on the 3/4 without wearing stuff out as quickly
  6. BigD84

BigD84 Junior Member

For what I'm looking for and price range it seems like the 3/4 ton is too much. Id like to get a 3/4 ton but money wise im leaning towards the 1/2 ton. Now im assuming go with the 5.3 engine and i work for a truck company and can get timbrens easily to help the front end. I know this is a question that is asked alot, and i apologize for it now. But what's a good plow to do a handful of driveways? I know the "home" ones arent good. Also does any one make a V plow for a half ton?
  7. cjasonbr

cjasonbr Senior Member
    from Mass

You cannot be for real.

Everyone unanimously says gets a 3/4 ton and you decide 1/2 ton with a v-plow is best????
  8. Pinky Demon

Pinky Demon PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

I'm with you. :laughing: :dizzy:
  9. Honest Mike

Honest Mike Member

1/2 ton can be a good plow truck. I had an automatic 92 Chevy regular cab shortbed 1500 with a 350 motor and a 7.5' Western Pro Plow on it. That truck never let me down and plowed anything I ever needed it to. Now I moved on to a bigger F350 with an 8' Pro Plus, but the 1500 did the trick for me for many years.
  10. Honest Mike

Honest Mike Member

I had Timbrens in it and a great set of tires also, and that truck was awesome in the snow and plowing. I got rid of it cause it was getting old, not because it couldnt do the job.
  11. BigD84

BigD84 Junior Member

cjasonbr, i know what people said but im not made out of money, and i never said i was getting a v plow for a half ton. I simply asked if they made one for a 1/2 ton. Thanks honest mike for a honest answer.
  12. bob00

bob00 Senior Member

it all depend wath you plan to put on it before think witch truck you got to decide witch kind of snow plowing you want to do witch kind of plow you want

so now do you want to do small commercial ? if yes forget that half ton

witch kind of plow you want ? a small mayers Will do find on a half ton but a lot of people say stay away from them

but if you want a solid rig go with a 3/4 and up and a fisher or boss

and money wise if you cant afford a good truck and a good plow
    look used stuff of course new truck look pretty and is more comfortable but hey all you need is a rig to do the job nice and clean
  13. pohouse

pohouse Senior Member

You'll be fine with a 1/2 ton as long as you don't get a large, heavy plow. I run a Western mid-weight with wings on my Sierra w/ 5.3L All I do is small commercial lots.

Do a search for 1/2 ton plow trucks and you'll find all the info, pros and cons, and what you need to know to plow with a 1/2 ton. You could also talk to a plow dealer who can tell you what type of plow will match your truck.

All the best.