1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

can't decide. Western or Blizzard....

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Playboy, Jul 7, 2005.

1. Playboy

Playboy Senior Member

I'm looking at the Western 8' pro and the Blizzard 800. So far I was quoted $3800 for the Western and $3400 for the Blizzard installed plus tax. The Western dealer is closer to me (15-20 minutes) and the Blizzard dealer is about 45 minutes away. I don't see and one in the area running Blizzards. Any comments on the comparison of these two?

It will be going on a 2005 Chevy 2500HD ext short bed.

Thanks.

2. OneBadDodge06

OneBadDodge06 Senior Member
    from Iowa

Western is a tried and true snowplow and so is a blizzard minus the paint issues and the rams pitting. IMO it seems like the blizzard doesn't run as fast as a western but the blizzard w/wings will have less trail off than a straight blade western. I'd go with a western just for the simple fact the dealer is closer. I also think that the ultra mount is the easiest and quickest mounting system out there.

3. karl klein

karl klein Senior Member

blade masters he was comparing straight blades.
    i own a blizzard 810 it is a great plow, although very heavy for the truck. i also own a western 8' pro plow and i love it. its three years old and works great the only problems i have had were a hose that came loose from the bracket and rubbed a hole threw the outside layer they replaced it for free and one of my guys cracked one of the return stops for the moldboard but i just re welded it myself.my blizzard is now one year old and besides the pitting on my rams no problems yet.

i vote western!

4. PSDF350

PSDF350 Senior Member

I also have a Blizzard 810. Blizzard make a very nice plow. as for the paint issue i do believe that is cured becuase mine still looks great.

5. plowed

plowed Senior Member

What's the trip action on the Blizzard? The Western is a full-blade trip, which I am not a fan of. I prefer the trip edge action, thus we run mostly Fishers, with one Wetsern.

6. PSDF350

PSDF350 Senior Member

Full trip on the Blizzard

7. meyer22288

meyer22288 Senior Member

i have an 8ft western my next plow will b an 8611 on my f-550. blizzard if i were you

8. plowed

plowed Senior Member

that makes it easier for me to decide :dizzy:

If it were me, all things being equal, eg dealer service, etc. I would likely go with the Blizzard, especially since it's a few bucks cheaper too.

9. OneBadDodge06

from Iowa

Well thanks for setting me straight. I was merely bringing up the fact if an individual wanted to spend the extra money for wings that would be the only time a blizzard would be better than a western. Do a search on blizzards here, some guys have lost bolts out of their plows, rams get pitted, and if you get lucky the paint won't crack and fall off. And since we are talking just straight blade to straight blade, a western operates faster making it more efficient. payup

10. Playboy

Playboy Senior Member

Thanks for the replies! I like the 810 but I don't have enough work for it plus it doesn't look like I could put it on my truck. I use my truck as a daily driver. The blizzard looks to have an easier hitch then Western. I saw the vid clip of the Blizzards trip action. Looks as good as any. One thing i don't like about the Blizzard is that the lights don't come off with the plow although they are removable.
    Is ground clearance a big issue with trucks? I seems to remember never having a problem with my F250/Fisher setup.

11. PSDF350

PSDF350 Senior Member

Blade_Master those old issues you are talking about are just that old issues. honestly i dont think you will find a better made plow out there blizzards are bullitt proof. but either way you go you will have a good plow. good luck happy shopping.

12. karl klein

karl klein Senior Member

i can promise you the blizzard is harder to mount than the western plus you have to put the lights on to. i really think although they are both good plows NO ONE can deni the fact that western is hands down a better choice for a straight blade.

13. OneBadDodge06

from Iowa

OK if you say so.........friend of mine got one of those blizzards brand new last season, and the paint was flaking off when we put it in storage. But is that still what you would consider to be an old issue? A tank is bullet proof but slower than molasses in January, not necessarily the choice for everyone.

14. PSDF350

PSDF350 Senior Member

the plow speed can be adjusted in case you dont know. I also got mine last year and it still looks new. maybe he got an older one. all the blizzards around here the paint is fine. so yes i say old issue.

15. karl klein

karl klein Senior Member

don't get me wrong either i do like mike 810 and have no troubles with my paint. i just feel the only thing blizzard offers that is worth buying from a new company that changes the design every other year is the 810. it is alot slower than a western straight blade. its harder to trip and hasn't been around for long enough to take chances with in my opinion unless it offers more than the others. so if all you want is a 8foot straight blade why chance it with a slower plow harder to hook up and won't last as long as a western. and lets don't even start on controller options

16. PSDF350

PSDF350 Senior Member

gotta admit the control monstrosity is a bit much. but i have no problms with hook up takes about 50-55 seconds. and like i said the speed can be adjusted. but i have no experaince with western so cant compare, but have heard there faster.

17. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

I own and ultra mount plow western go with it you will be pleased

18. Playboy

Playboy Senior Member

Seems Western is what I'll be going with. The 810 looks like an awesome plow but for right now i can only go straight blade and the 810 is a bit much for my truck.

Any one use wings on their Western?

19. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Just out of curiousity, what does paint have to do with production?

20. Playboy

Playboy Senior Member

I feel it's all about image to a degree. I know I don't want a plow thats going to chip very easily and look 20 years old in a few seasons. Normal wear and tear is fine. Production obviously won't decrease but i'd hate to see my new new truck a rusted out plow.