1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Cant Decide on what right plow

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Walkermowers1, Jan 26, 2011.

1. Walkermowers1

Walkermowers1 Junior Member
    from Wall NJ

I cant decide on what plow i should get? I really like the Boss Sport Duty 7.6. But im always open new ideas. Im going to plowing driveways with Gravel, Concrete and Pavement and Small parking lots. I also like the Fisher HT Series plow. I have a 2005 chevy sliverado. So please help me what plow i should get.

/thanks
    Bobby

2. Elite_Maint

Elite_Maint Senior Member

If you won't consider a BOSS V-blade I'd suggest the BOSS super duty even the Western PRO or PRO PLUS.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2011
  3. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

Homeowner plows aren't built for the long haul. It sounds as if your going to put it to work as basically a commercial plow. Even if your going to expand your route in the next season or two, you might as well spend the extra money and buy a commercial plow. I don't have a price sheet or anything, but my guess is it will cost less than 1 grand more to buy the right plow now, or save that money now, and in two or three years when you have this one beat to hell, you can buy another plow for full price.

4. Elite_Maint

Elite_Maint Senior Member

Don't do that!... you'll be spending double the money. just buy the commercial plow now and you'll have it for many many years of plowing. A commercial plow isn't much more.

5. plowfever

plowfever Senior Member

Look into the hiniker c plow. I have heard for doing drives they are a awesome plow. I had a friend that had one and it was simply amazing and did a excellent job.

6. snow patrol

snow patrol Senior Member

A few things to consider:

Is your silverado a 1500, 2500 or 3500? A larger truck can handle a heavier plow and vice versa.

How much dealer support do you have in your area for a particular plow brand? You may want to narrow down your selection in part based on the answer to this question.

As mentioned by Rc2505, you'd be better off with a plow more suitable for at least light commercial use, provided your truck is large enough to handle the weight. In particular since you are planning on plowing some parking lots.

Conventional plows are either full trip or trip edge. I only have experience with full trip plows and I've been very happy, but you may study up on the pro's and cons of both.

Hope the info helps. Good luck!

7. Walkermowers1

from Wall NJ

hey everyone i have chevy 1500 im not going to buy a 2500hd right yet not until my business grows. where i can handle those types of plows. any other ideas?

Bobby

8. Walkermowers1

from Wall NJ

hey i have i have alot of dealers in my area i have boss plows dealers western plows fisher plows snow dogg plows and meyer plows and the snow dogg plow is nice but the mold board is 24" tall i like a little bigger plows and the boss is pretty nice

9. KEC Maintaince

KEC Maintaince Senior Member
    from N.J.

i beleive when he goes to the mfg web site and punches in his truck info they give him those recomendatons.
    when i punch un a jeep wrangler i get the same recomendations.
    i have also wondered the same about the home owner plow is it strong enuff to handle the load
    the poly dlade from boss is also wider . 7ft 6in i beleive. i dont know the height . a friend of mine told me for the jeep i should get a steel blade.
    i am also interested in what you guys also suggest to the op.
    thanks

10. somervillelawn

somervillelawn Member

I'd suggest buying the 7.6 Boss Super Duty if your looking at Boss plows. I have a friend who has that plow on a F-150 and it does just fine. This way if your business grows and you buy a bigger truck...you will still have a nice heavy duty plow that can handle drives and commercial lots. Add a set of wings and you basically have a 9.5 foot plow.

11. Lugnut

Lugnut Senior Member

Look at the Meyers plows, they are a little lighter which would be good for your 1500, but will outlast a homeowner plow

12. Walkermowers1

from Wall NJ

dont meyers have alot of pump problems and the weight on the meyers is 575 vs boss under 500 is meyers built to do what i want to do? the weight is a issue with me and the pump thing with meyers

13. ShorePower

ShorePower Senior Member

I run 2 1/2 tons. One with meyer ST 7.5 Light duty plow, weighs about 580lbs. Plows OK. Meyer's Pump design , couplers, hoses, valves all suck. I have a Westrn 7.5 Pro plow on my 08 1500 chev. Weighs 780 or so. Plows Great. No design flaws, issues. Truck only sags 3/4 inch with plow up. As long as you dont drive around all winter with a plow hanging off the front, just disconnect after each storm, the truck will be fine. Don't let the dealer scare you into a purchase you will probably regret.