1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Cant decide on a plow!!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by DaySpring Services, Jun 28, 2006.

1. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

I got a new Dodge Ram 3500 CTD Single rear wheel, quad cab this year. I cant decided which plow to go with. Im going to plow mostly parking lots this year. I pretty much have it narrowed down to a Boss 8.2 or 9.2 V or a Blizzard 810. Three major reasons that Im not too sure about the blizzard are the only dealer in the area is about 1/2 hour - 45 mins away (I'd kinda be screwed if I ever need a part during a storm) and how much my 760LT rusted with the little use it had in one year. Im also kinda worried about the horror stories that I've heard about them bending. There are a bunch of Boss dealers in my area, one being less than 5 mins away. I just cant decide if a 9.2 would be too big or even if I really needed something that big. I could always add wings to a 8.2 I really like the boss handheld controller compared to the blizzard joystick. I wish it was easier to decide.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2006
  2. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

IMO, go with the Boss 8.2. If you feel that you need to go bigger, then you can just add the wings. Better to do it that way rather than have something too big that you can't make smaller. It is a good plow and a delaer is only 5 mins. away. That is well worth it right there. I would love to have a dealer that close to me.

3. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Talk to some guys that use the dealer near you. If he's got a good reputation buy from him, even if he's asking a couple % more. If the nearest dealer has a bad record, check out the guy everybody recommends. Then buy from the shop that's going to service your equipment. Service is the major factor regardless of brand, and a dealer will be willing to stay open late or even go in special for a regular customer. Dealers of reliable equipment don't make their money on parts, they don't break down enough. they need to sell whole units. You will not get the service levels if you buy from the cheap guy. It's like the lowball plow guy. You get what you pay for.

4. THE BOSS 1975

THE BOSS 1975 Senior Member

I have a Boss 7'6 super duty and its great ,Not to knock any manufacturers I hear alot of horror stories about the mounts on the Blizzard just my 2 cents

5. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

I was overall happy with my Blizzard other than the paint issue.

6. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

I would go with the 9.2 V if you have concerns about the Blizzards, 8.2 will not cover your wheelbase when you turn the big quad cab 3500, DRW or not.
    Just my 2 cents:waving:

7. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

O h yeah, forgot about the quad cab. I'd go with the 9.2 for sure.

8. dmontgomery

dmontgomery PlowSite.com Addict

is weight an issue with these plows, Dodge front ends and the CTD.......??

D

9. Jerre Heyer

Jerre Heyer Senior Member

Actually the 3500 Quad is pretty strong. The 9.2 or the 810 blizzard will hang without a problem. Then blizzard 8611LP will also hang on there and gives a 11'3" open width and a 10' width in scoop. That dodge can move alot of snow in a hurry with it.

Jerre

10. jhook

jhook Senior Member

Probably a bit late to respond but incase anyone else reads this...

I personally would say Blizzard. I was asking the exact same question a couple of years ago - 9'2" boss or Blizzard. REALLY glad I went with the 810. My closest dealer was 4 hours away. I bought my Blizzard, put it on my truck, took a look at it and ordered another one for my other truck. Best money I ever spent. I cut down my time, and was able to take on about 25% more work just because of the plow - and I had a VPlow before. We do everything from driveways to large lots and I find it better all round. Good luck.