1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Candian Liquid De Iceing & Anti Iceing

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Grassman09, Jan 12, 2010.

1. Grassman09

Grassman09 2000 Club Member

If we could use this to discuss the various products and ideas for de iceing and anti icing alternatives to salt in Canada. tymusic

2. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

Oh i see how you are. What you think liquid deicer workd different in Canada than the US !!! :laughing::laughing:

3. Grassman09

Yes!!! :laughing: :gunsfiring::

No we just don't have access to all the ones you guys do and parts stores to get all the stuff.

If you want to buy some of the fancy foo foo dust that you guys got u need to buy tanker loads. I'd like to try Chloride guys stuff but you have to buy it in truck loads or become a dealer.. Same thing I guess.

And unless you know Grandview you will get taken to the cleaners by UPS FED Ex Purolater on broker and duty fees on parts.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2010
  4. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

Another Canadian thread? :dizzy:

5. Grassman09

Ha ha made you look.. Sucker.. :D

6. creativedesigns

creativedesigns PlowSite.com Addict

Dear Grassman,

I have a Chevy truck (even tho I love Fords) and recently I purchased a new Ebling blade, which made me OH SO friggin excited!! Heck YEA! My salter is mounted in the bed of my truck & my concern is will the salt rust the backblade fast? There have also been some recent debates about my traction problems with the salter unit, while running my Ebling blade. It seems every time I operate the blade, I need my window down all the way? And liquids to this day still haunt me. Is this normal? :(

Signed,

Anonymous plowguy.

7. Grassman09

This is what I built so far. I have only ran Master Melt 55 from Drgalm in it. Flows great works pretty good but is costly.

I built this last weekend so I have not had time to fab up a proper mount to the trailer hitch. Needs to be adjustable higher and lower for the 4 different tips I have on the boom. The blue hose has to go and install the proper suction hose. I have 50' of suction hose if anyone needs hose.

I'm waiting on Eco Solutions for some Fusion and Brine and make a few different Strength. Time will tell if Calcium or Mag Chloride is needed.

Waiting for a 12volt bypass Ball valve so I'm not jumping out of the truck all the time and wasting liquid.

Triple L,

In the off season I can always come up there to help you with power sweeping in the spring. Spray the stuff out of the corners for you. Maybe I can help Daff with washing.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. It needs to work on that special Canadian Ice. tymusic

Because the supplier base is a lot smaller and different in Canada I think this thread is a good idea. It's a good place to discuss spray systems, Product effectiveness ,Canadian sourcing Etc IMO

9. Grassman09

I think as long as you use Magic-0 treated salt you will be okay.

Salt & Magic

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/UnCbx8vThvY&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/UnCbx8vThvY&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

10. Hey, that's my utube Magic Video!!!!!! lol

11. Grassman09

Yea eh.. Figured u'd show. :D Good vid. A tote here sells for about $750 U get $100 when you bring the tote back.

What kind of tip are you using in that spray wand?

Last edited: Jan 12, 2010
  12. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

U finally got it right, Way to go Dave! :drinkup:

Cre's just ticked that you stole everything away from his copy of the weather thread and it will die now LOL...

Where are you getting your stuff now? just for kicks you should try phoning up these guys and seeing what they offer... http://www.organex.ca/ It seems they should have everything you could need, except its a 30 min drive...

13. It;s just a brass hydroseed nozzle..Very Simple..

14. Triple L

from Canada

Has anyone tried that orangish pre treated salt, I think its called thaw rocks... My supplier has a crap load of it, the price is alright, just wondering if anyone uses it and what you've thought and if its worth it or if its just clearlane everywhere?

15. Pristine PM ltd

Pristine PM ltd PlowSite Veteran

We have used it... alot of it actually. Clearlane and Thawrox go back and forth with their availability. I think it isn't as hot as clearlane, but lasts longer. Other then that, pretty much the same, just with less colour. We had some that were really orange, but mostly it looks like magic and then I get calls saying that we aren't using treated... so that in itself is a benefit of clearlane.

16. Triple L

from Canada

Right on, thanks Jon...

So far I have to say the best salt I've EVER used is a hopper full of salt treated with 3 jugs of that purple windshield washer (because it froze up on me).... Man did that ever work nice, I almost feel like buying a 50 gal drum of it and treating my own stuff :D

17. DAFFMOBILEWASH

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

Grassman better get some more tanks for washing. 300 gal is good for only a few minutes at 20 GPM. As for the design of the spray unit keep it simple and have a back up plan in case of a break downs. Dont forget a quick drain hook up on the high side of the pump so you can dump the tank into a resivoir when the weather breaks. Nothing worse than a half full tank driving around the city for a few days..........

18. DRIFTER92

DRIFTER92 Senior Member

I have a brine mixer and a liquid de-icer in the works check out my profile picture albums ill have it done in a couple more days.

19. DRIFTER92

DRIFTER92 Senior Member

How do you keep your suction line from collapsing?

20. DeVries

DeVries PlowSite.com Addict

Thanks for starting this thread, very interesting stuff. I hope to be building a unit over the summer so any info is appreciated.