1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Canadians Buying in the States

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by NorwayAutoPlow, Sep 17, 2013.

1. NorwayAutoPlow

NorwayAutoPlow Junior Member

So I had a guy call me the other day interested in one of my used plows and he asks how he can bring it into Canada. Ive had Canadians buy snowmobiles and cars from me before but never a plow. Does anyone know how this process works or know of any tricks to make it easier? Is it different if the guy buys a new plow?

2. MIDTOWNPC

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

buy it, go pick it up. Declare it and Pay the tax at the border

3. NorwayAutoPlow

What if the plow was bought through a business in NY? We have an 8.25% sales tax here. How long of a process is it at the border?

4. MIDTOWNPC

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

I've always had to pay the tax to the local unless a third party shipping company is involved. Then on too pay the Canadian hst at border. Easy to cross. Without traffic maybe 20 mins or less

5. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Make sure you charge him at least a double order of wings and beer for doing the paper work.

6. NorwayAutoPlow

I talked with another local dealer today and he said that I would have to fill out an AU11 form so that the buyer gets his NY state sales tax back. Is this part of all that paperwork I hear of? I know that if the buyer and seller do not meet in person and they are from different states then they don't have to pay sales tax. The buyer is responsible for paying user tax though in the state that they are in. Ive looked but had no luck with a step by step directions on doing this for the boarder.

7. goel

goel PlowSite.com Addict

Always payed the local tax and then declared it at the border and paid the tax there also just like midtownpc. It's quick and easy.

8. Pristine PM ltd

Pristine PM ltd PlowSite Veteran

if he is trying to get out of paying the tax, tell him to not waste your time. It is only for his benefit, nothing to help you, except extra paperwork. Just take cash and wish him the best!

9. NorwayAutoPlow

Thanks for the help everyone!

10. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Make sure you take Canadian money,its worth more!