1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Canadian wing plow manufacturers?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by StuveCorp, Feb 15, 2012.

1. StuveCorp

StuveCorp Senior Member

I have to ask, what is it with the Canadian 'wing' plow manufacturers? I just keep seeing more and more, it's cool but how is there so many? Down here, look at Blizzard - they managed to patent things and until DD bought them that was it.

So far there is Joe's X wing, Horst, Machinablity, Metal Pless, Cotech(just noticed them on PS the other day) and Reactor(which I just saw tonight?!). Am I missing any?

Here is pics of the Reactor blade I found.

ServeImage.jpg

Attached Files:

2. G.Landscape

G.Landscape Senior Member
    from Ontario

Supply and Demand.....its an amazing thing..... same reason many of the big Blower Manufacturers are in Quebec....

3. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

Blizzards patent must of been kind of limiting. What I find crazy is I think that the blade you pictured has the "tire protection" feature like an HLA Snowwing. I thought that feature was patented by Horst.

4. StuveCorp

StuveCorp Senior Member

It just seems like there is more creativity and advancements up there with snow equipment.

5. StuveCorp

StuveCorp Senior Member

Yeah, unless it is 'licensed' from them? I did find the brand - AMI Attachments

Last edited: Feb 15, 2012
  6. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

Yeah I found them too, it came right up googling the blade name. When I was talking with the Horst Rep at SIMA last year they were very proud of the tire protection feature and told me how hard it was to come up with a such a simple system. I'm thinking they dropped the ball and didn't patent it.

I agree that Canada has is on the leading edge of snow removal tools. Must be something in the water up there!

7. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

That thing looks like a gray Horst, they must be private labeling them

8. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

You gotta be right. Good call

[​IMG]

9. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

There yard is 15 min away from where the Horst is built, I asked around and I can't find anyone that knows anything about them. At first I thought it wasn't a copy but after taking a better look it looks exactly the same. Wing plows have been around for close to 30 years so a patent would be pretty hard to get. The tire saver would have been but I'm not sure they sell the units like pickup blades to worry about it.

10. StuveCorp

StuveCorp Senior Member

Looks like the only big difference is the Reactor has a pivot action by the quick tach compared to the Horst? So you guys have been using these type of blades for 30 years?

11. TheRealBuzz

TheRealBuzz Member
    from ON, CAN

Definitely made by Horst with a couple of differences.

The pivot mentioned before. As well the skid shoes look different. Either they are features made exclusively for Reactor or just evolutions that are available through Horst as well.

I always got the impression that Horst prefers to manufacture and leave the selling to someone else so not surprising they have made a re-branding deal.

No mater whose name is on it as long as it came out of the Horst factory it's good stuff.

12. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

We personally bought our first wing plow in 2004 but I guys have used them around here for close to 15 years. The first wing plows were used in Quebec going back 30 years. My dad starting plowing snow with farm tractors commercially in 1969. The shoes and the pivot are the exact same as the Horst.

13. TheRealBuzz

TheRealBuzz Member
    from ON, CAN

Interesting differences.

Mine is a skid steer model and the shoes are different. Simple round sliders on square tubes adjustable with shims. The universal skid attachment plate pivots side to side but not back & forth. As well the hyd lines that run from the centre of the moldboard out to the wing actuators are hardline on mine but flex line on both pics above.

Must be the difference between the 3200 and the 4200 / 5200 models.

14. StratfordPusher

StratfordPusher Senior Member

I have both a 3200 and 4200 HLA, they are different shoes on each, think the 5200 has
    the same shoes as the 4200.

If I was a betting man I would say it is a Horst plow re-branded... will ask my buddy at Horst
    next time I see him....

15. StoneWater

StoneWater Junior Member

I believe AMI has family ties to Horst. Horst specializes in Ag/ light industrial and AMI fills the heavy industrial market. The reactor is a Horst blade, with a bigger price tag. They claim the reactor has better material in it but I would say the blades are identical. Horst treats me very well, I won't be switching!