1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Canadian Traveling to the USA to buy

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by MIDTOWNPC, Sep 21, 2009.

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

Im thinking about picking up an ebling back blade.

I have not purchased something like this before across the border.

I bought a snow blower once and the new truck I bought last year, I paid a dealer to have all the paperwork done.

Im basically planning on ordering it. Placing a deposit, driving down, having it installed and comming back.

What I need to know is what do I have to do to be prepared at the border and what do I have to pay.

Is there going to be any problem with it being attached to the truck when it comes back or should I have it in the bed of the truck or on a trailer?

When I bought a snow blower in Buffalo - they said Made in the USA no duty, just pay the tax inside please.

Do I pay the state tax (michigan) when I buy the item? to the vendor?

do I still get to take a few days off ?

The same thing happened with my wide out. I was about to make the trip and someone sold it to me for a better price around here.

Still should learn the process if anyone has any info, there are lots of other things I could go buy... lol Im sure other members too?

From what I understand if it is made in the USA its Duty free. Just have to show and prove it.
  3. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

To bring something back there is no duty. I have never had to pay duty. You pay GST and PST. If you want to buy something for your business and you have the time you can go to the commercial side of customs, fill out the forms including your business # and you don't pay PST. It you buy a vehicle, you pay $195 for a CTC inspection, $100 A/C tax, clean air and saftey. You also pay PST and GST.

If you pick it up from Ebling you will pay their State tax. Then you will pay GST and PST. You don't need to do anything ahead of time.

Dave's brings them in PST,GST exempt because he is importing them(I am assuming this). So you might get that price break from him. You will have the advantage of using a local retailer with local support and local warantee. You will save 1 or 2 days in a hotel. Might not be as much fun but Dave's entertainment is Priceless.
  4. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

LOL good call :drinkup:

I just bought a custom 2 point lift swing wing off Dave, Im sure he can take care of you!
  5. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

And to think some people think I'm annoying. :D Dean bought a custom 18 ft Chad, so his blade is bigger then yours. LOL
  6. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

Right on! but where do you draw the line.... If this one works good i'll order up a 20' next year wesport....

Dave, I heard those tractors of yours can almost plow as much snow as my truck ;) LOL
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2009
  7. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

You think your truck is a tractor. You better paint it green. ;)
  8. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

He has a few of those kids around there. Something in the water. Pass on the truck and take one of the tractors for a spin.

Can't wait. Im sure getting use to the fact that it has down pressure and all the wings will take some time. All is good and now if some of the other properties give me the ok I am set. For me the fact that I dont have to pull a or drive a skid steer and operator to this one location is worth it. Big time saver, and I can have that man do other jobs that are closer. I think I should up my weight on my lic ? any idea what one of them weight?
    600lbs? cause Im sure I will get noticed once someone see's this big red monster driving down the street... red wideout, red dodge, red rear blade.

if you have a picture of the controlls post it please
  10. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Or his wife. :D

I have to say I'm impressed with you guys from the Great White North. You're more willing to try new-to-you equipment than a whole lot of Americans.

Wonder if a back blade is faster than a bucket? :confused:
  11. DeVries

DeVries PlowSite.com Addict

Wonder if a back blade is faster than a bucket? :confused:[/QUOTE]

From my experiance with one for only one winter, it saves a lot of time especially with condo driveways, circular driveways, and loading docks.

Thanks for the info. I always wondered about the vehicles last time I asked they were not interested in helping me out too much and just pointed to a wall of books/pamphlets.
    They were all mixed up and I figured if I asked again I would get thrown in a room and beaten with a stick. Good to know, I hear florida and texas are where the corvettes are hiding. :) Can you drive something back?

13. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

If you need any info on importing just call me Dean, I've done it twice in the last year and abit. CET is right, it's very easy. People make it out to be hard but it's soooooooo simple.
  14. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

But only if you need information, for everything else Dave will do;)
  15. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

That's actually pretty funny. LOL
  16. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Man you guys are just helping out the Canadian economy with buying everything in the States.

once again I am reminded ... "sometimes its not what you know, its who you know"

Price out a battery here and then in buffalo.... higher end tires....
    most clothes... shoes and boots....

the only big thing I have ever noticed is that our groceries are cheaper here in canada.
    but your resturants are usually cheaper.

I remember being in florida one time... and staring at the bill at a resturant... the lady said sir is there something wrong? I said yes... Ashley your going to have to start drinking beer its cheaper then the coke. No joke Happy Hour at TGI Fridays. Beer was cheaper
    The Quality All Suites Hotel in Kissisimee gave all guests unlimited free draft beer between 4 and 7.