1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Canadian Content ? ... and Hiya Everyone.

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Shamrock Shake, Feb 28, 2007.

1. Shamrock Shake

Shamrock Shake Junior Member

Greetings to all, and a hearty thanks for all the info thats been posted on these forums !!
    Been reading steady for 2 days now whenever time allows, and the ol' noggin is getting ready to burst, lol.

I'm living in Hamilton, Ontario ( 45mins from Niagara Falls ) and am thinking about pushing some snow next winter. Mainly just that the parents are getting older, and I'd like to have an easy way to handle the snow clearing for their big corner home,( 2 drives ) and of course my own place and a neighbour.

I'll have my new Ranger 4x4, and I won't bore you with the usual 'what plow do I buy' questions - I can see there's plenty of info here already.. but I am curious if there are many Canucks visiting the site ? and if so - would they offer any advice on whether it would be worth my while to approach local Plow companies for any light sub-work ?? (Ranger size, anyway ) Or any other helpful tips on local stuff.

Otherwise, I'm sure I'll be pestering all the rest of you in the forums about everything else !
    Thanks again, and stay safe.

Les.

:salute: tymusic :salute:

Last edited: Feb 28, 2007
  2. Tractor Plower

Tractor Plower Senior Member

Welcome, welcome! I'm just a stone's throw from you, over in rural Ancaster.
    Unfortunatley, I do not have any advise to pass on for your info search, however have you thought about going out on your own? You don't seem to want to do this full time, as is my case. I was able to gain popularity just by word of mouth, which travels fast out in the country. Get a good reputation for yourself by doing a timely and NEAT job, then possibly drop off information to mailboxes in your area.

Good luck and safe plowing!

-Miketymusic

3. Shamrock Shake

Hiya Mike,

Yeah, I'm pretty nearby - just over the linc on the west mountain near Westcliffe Mall. Though I do like that Coach & Lantern pub you folks have out in Ancaster ! :drinkup:

Full time is probably not an option for me... I've got a pretty good job right now with lots of overtime available. ( Yeah, I know - how rare is that these days !! ) Although I am thinking over possibilities of perhaps a little residential work. Probably best to see if its as enjoyable as I think it would be.... for work anyway, lol. 10-4 on the timely and neat work ethic..... although time might be the biggest stumbling block - I think the wife is happy with the plow idea for me because I have such an obsessive/compulsive relationship with my snowy driveway.... when I shovel, everything has to be just so - or I'm stayin' out there !

Can I hit you up for any tips on reliable dealers on new/used stuff in the area ?? And if you don't mind my asking a pro... do you think a 4.0L Ranger could handle the job in our winter ??

Thanks for the welcome !

Les.

4. oakvillerex

oakvillerex Member

welcome aboard sir,
    I too am nearby in wonderful Oakville. Yes your 4.0L ranger can handle the snow here. I deal with B.R. Dickson Equiptment in Burlington for our snowplows and parts. any questions about the area i might be able to answer send them my way and next winter if you are still plowing i might just have a bit of a job lined up for you

Drive safe
    Jeff

5. Tractor Plower

Oh yes, the good ol' Coach & Lantern. many good high school times there. Most often you can catch me at Emma's Back Porch, especially after a long night of plowing or harvesting. (near the Tim Horton's which is past the traffic circle, before the new 'Yota dealership). I used to live near the top of the Chedoke Golfcourse/ Stairs, so I know your area well.
    As far as equipment goes, Snoway has 2 close dealers: Oneil's Farm Equip. on hwy. 56 in Binbrook (great dealer), and Skyway Equip. on hwy. 20, across from Boston Pizza. (top of centennial hill, south of Mud St.) For Western, the closest dealer is Oneida New Holland in Caledonia. (turn left on the 2nd concession south of the Caledonia Bypass.) Once again, good dealer who is always there when needed. For Boss, I would suggest J.D.J Trailer Mfg. on hwy. 6 North. Arctic is sold by Nando trailers, on Rymal, just east of Dartnall Rd.
    I think I have exhausted my list of snow removal dealers. The ones I have just listed are all reputable places, although I think there are a few more in Hamilton.

So you havn't said, what is the setup you are concidering for your ranger??

-Mike:nod:

Last edited: Mar 1, 2007
  6. poncho62

poncho62 Senior Member

welcome...I am up the road a bit toward Toronto......Georgetown

Anyways, I plow with an s10 Blazer/6ft plow. If you have a full time job....why not just take on a few driveways....The Ranger is just the right size for getting in and out of those tight spots. Thats what I do....puts a few extra bucks in your pocket.

7. Shamrock Shake

Hey guys, bet you're all pretty busy tonite, heh.

..and Wow, thanks for all the dealer info ! That will probably help out alot in my decisions. I'm really still at the learning level for what to buy... The guy who plows our firehall let me check out his setup the other night - fisher 6'8" blade on a F-150, but I know time is money for him, so didn't want to delay him with a bunch of questions.

Odds are I won't know what I'm really looking for until I see some plow setups, and some costs. Main considerations will likely be: easy to hookup/remove, and size, weight and price. One of the things that I haven't fully understood from reading the forums here - Are all plows pretty much hydraulic side-to-side action now, or is that big bucks over the manual adjusting types ?? and will I need to do any mods to the suspension of my Ranger ? I'm still waiting for my new baby to arrive, and I'd hate to bust her up from plowing. Just traded in my 02', and it was the best vehicle I've ever had... 0 problems.

Mike - I didn't even realize there was an Emma's in Ancaster... Can't stand the one in Burlington - I bartended in Hess Village for 10 years, and that burned me out for loud, crowded watering holes.... I likely to enjoy some Guinness in a quiet pub nowadays ! :D

Jeff - thanks for the tips, and I'll be sure to stay in touch when I'm getting set up.

Poncho - bet you're getting killed up in Georgetown right now, eh ? Did you do any reinforcing for your S-10, or does some ballast do the trick on its own for you ?

Hope you guys get some good safe plowing in, and earn some bucks !

Les.

8. poncho62

poncho62 Senior Member

My Blazer is good for small stuff......Last night was pretty much all I want to handle....about 6".....and it was heavy. I have a 24x24 patio stone and 2 bags of sand in the back......about 250#

9. Tractor Plower

Last night was busy! It took 2 times as long to do the clearing with the blower, really heavy stuff. I'm glad I got it off all my accounts though, as anyone who waited 'till today has a real mess to deal with. The heavy snow caused me to break 3 shear bolts on the blower throughout the night of blowing, one of which was because it swallowed a piece of firewood that our 1 year-old yellow lab decided to drag out into the middle of the driveway and let it get buried in snow :rolleyes: . Of course, off I trot to Oneil's to get myself some shear bolts for the weekend, as we are expecting some light snow saturday.

my .02 for your ranger would be to mount up a Snoway. Nice light units with downpressure, a must for doing residential drives. Also, don't be afraid to get a blue light, as they increase the safety ten-fold. (people actually pay attention and expect you to pull obscure manouvers) I highly recommend any product from Star Warning Systems. (SWS) I have a 201 strobe, a 240 strobe, and a dual flash strobe mini-bar. All are great products and have served me very well. (mag mounts also work very well, I can leave my mini-bar on my roof and go down the highway without fear it's gonna fly off)

-Miketymusic

10. shepoutside

shepoutside Member

tymusic Hello from Cambridge here. You in a good position for residental driveways. There is a call for the smaller plows, as I have a jeep, that is always busy. Good Luck !!!

11. jwkv

jwkv Member

I'm in the Oshawa area. This is my first year with a plow. I bought a used Meyer 7-1/2 setup and attached it to my 2001 Silverado 1500.I originally bought it to do my driveway but have picked up a couple of customers both of which have gravel. I'm glad I read this thread. Some great advice to get around potentially unhappy customers. Thanks.

12. Added Touch

Added Touch Member

Greetings from St. Catharines

last season I bought a 1990 Dodge Dakota 4x4 with a 3.9 l engine. It has a 7' Northman plow on it. We were able to service 3 local gas stations, about a dozen resedential, 2 corner stores and one 60 space parking lot with capacity to spare. Mind you we only had to go out 8 times or so. Hope that helps. Love to hear from anyone else in this area.

13. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff PlowSite.com Addict

So did you end up getting a plow? Im near to you aswell. Im not a fan of dixon at all, some people there will scam you if you don't know what your doing. If you need some real solid friendly advice, and a sno-way blade which would be perfect for your truck, try Complete Rent-alls in burlington. Great guys.

Cheers
    Jeff

14. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Welcome, you can tell the Canadian's on here by their accents.

15. poncho62

poncho62 Senior Member

Eh???????................tymusic

16. DAFFMOBILEWASH

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

Welcome to the site Les.:)
    So what colour is your truck??
    A Ranger mounted to a smaller 6.0-6.5' Snoway is the way to go. Mounted with DP this rig would be the equilivant to a warm ATV. These set ups are the best for Residential lots and those smaller lots the big guy cant fit into. Keep on reading and learning. Hey how about someone up there taking Les on a night out on the town the next time it snows. I'm sure he would have a blast. :drinkup:

Take care have fun.

DAFF

17. MIDTOWNPC

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

Cobourg Ontario here.

Small trucks are great for residential. We use to have a ranger years ago when I use to shovel walks and dad would plow. Great for getting in tight places.

18. heather lawn spray

heather lawn spray PlowSite.com Addict

guess we scared him off 3 posts last Feb and that :confused:was it

19. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I have to remember to look at the date! At least it was this year.