1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Canada vs. U.S

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by natureboy, Dec 19, 2003.

1. natureboy

natureboy Junior Member

I'm reading all these posts describing your excitement over upcoming snowstorms, where here in Toronto, we pray for no more than a couple inches so we can just salt. Funny how we get paid on contract, snow or no snow, and you guys charge per push based on amount of snowfall. Then again, we don't get 20" storms. We may get 20 cm a couple times a year. That right Americans, Toronto isn't the great white north you think it is. But this difference in plowing has always amazed me.

2. Toby

Toby Senior Member
    from NY

Toronto gets less snow than areas surrounding due to it's positioning. Have you ever been north of HWY 7 or down East or West.

BTW, not all Canadian contractors use contracts.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2003
  3. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Snow mONEY

yOU Got to remember we AMERICANS get excited about snow cause it means money everytime percipitation comes down.
    It's what 10 cents a pound for salt put down? Then 2 inches of snow come down, time to plow. It keeps snowing, keep hitting the lots, keep billing them. Two days later it stops,regroup.get ready starts again, bill again,get the DRift?

4. peewee

peewee Member

I'm with nature boy. I can make 5 times the money sanding or salting than I can with plowing and do it in 2 hours with very little wear and tear. To me plowing is the necessary evil to allow me to sand and salt! Evil may be harsh because I really do like to plow but there is no comparison as far as bang for the buck. And BTW, contract jobs pay while you sit at home. In a low snow area you usually make out way ahead of billing per push.

5. elitelandscape

elitelandscape Member

I would have to say that in Maritime's we use the same thing as in US per push. I think everywhere's but Ontario uses this way. Don't get me wrong we use contracts for the season to but we make way more per push.
    Toronto has an annual snowfall amout of like 10 inches and we here in the maritmes have like 130 inches like many places in the US.
    So far this year we have had 6 plowable events with over 30 inches of snow.

anyways

cheers

6. badranman

badranman Senior Member

Only been 2 plowable storms here in Halifax. This is a great site!
    Found it yesterday and it feels like I'm plowing, no sleep from reading for 2 days!:cool:

7. badranman

badranman Senior Member

I should add those 2 storms have only been 2-3 inches of slush.
    Still looking up at the heavens and doing my snow dance.

8. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Snow

We have had 3 decent events in the last 3 weeks. 3-5" each time
    Last one was a "lake effect" off lake Erie. Radar looked like the fetch had changed and the snow event was dead ( just a dusting ). Went to bed at 2Am. Imagine my surprise when the cell phone rang at 5AM.
    Mount up, move out, 5 inches awaits.