1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Canada GST to HST Ontario

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by Bajak, Mar 26, 2009.

1. Bajak

Bajak Senior Member

There is talk of Ontario introducing HST. I am just looking for insight on how this will affect our service industry here in Ontario. Will this mean we will be charging customers 13% HST instead of the current 5% GST ? Will we be able to re-coup some of that money at tax time as we can now with GST?

Any insight from members in other Provinces here that currently deal with HST ?

Opinions from Ontarians good or bad.:confused:

2. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

i dont know much, but i think this is the stupidest thing ever.... a $36 lawn cutting cost the customer about $38... now all suddon when they get the bill its gonna be almost $42 per cut... all they see is the bottom number...and even tho im only getting my $36 they now think there paying about $5 per cut more...Thats Nutz! Just more of a market for the lowballers that make under 30K that dont have to charge tax....

3. Kunker

Kunker Member

All I hear is that "the HST will be better for businesses", so I presume that the HST will work like the GST right now. Explaining it to clients is going to be fun...I wonder how many will expect an 8% cut in price?

4. Bajak

Bajak Senior Member

From the GRC site

"Registrants collect the GST/HST on most of their sales and pay the GST/HST on most purchases they make to operate their business. They can claim a credit, called an input tax credit (ITC), to recover the GST/HST they paid or owe on the purchases they use in their commercial activities."

Will this mean a 13% ITC on purchases? That's not bad.

On the other hand, the price of trucking will be up 8% which was the argument used against carbon tax.

5. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

This is going to drive the underground economy even more. The homeowner wanting snow and grass services will be even more willing to pay cash.

6. dellwas

dellwas Senior Member

Yup, that's what I do here in Nova Scotia. I've got a GST tax number/business number. You have to be federally registered in order to claim an ITC. Feds send me the form Late November, early December. I put down total sales, GST collected, and purchases (ITC). Purchases have to fall into specific categories, not all purchases can be claimed. Basically, if you pay more out in GST for purchases than what you collect from sales, then you get a refund based on sales vs purchases. If your sales are higher then you deduct what you purchased and remit the difference. It's important to note that this is not done with your regular Income Tax form, it is seperate.

This might help explain it further:

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/bsnss/tpcs/gst-tps/bspsbch/itc-cti/hwt/menu-eng.html

Last edited: Mar 26, 2009
  7. Bajak

Bajak Senior Member

Dellwas
    How did/do your customers take to being charged the extra tax?
    Also, because of the extra percentage on ITC did you adjust your hourly rates a little lower or keep them the same?

8. dellwas

dellwas Senior Member

It's nothing new for us in Nova Scotia, we've had the HST (Harmonized Sales Tax) for a long, long time,and NS is one of 3 provinces that do it, so my customers are used to it.

As far as rates, there are two ways you can do it legally under Federal rules. You can either break it down (cost + HST), or include it with the total cost (don't have to show it). If doing the latter you must indicate that HST is included on the invoice (I do it in great big red letters). You also have to include your GST number on the invoice. For a while I used to break it down, but now I include it in the cost, makes it a little easier at tax time

Here's another link from Canada Revenue Agency that explains the in's and out's of setting up a busines (Federal perspective) for anyone that's interested:

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/E/pub/tg/rc4070/README.html

QUOTE=Bajak;773428]Dellwas
    How did/do your customers take to being charged the extra tax?
    Also, because of the extra percentage on ITC did you adjust your hourly rates a little lower or keep them the same?[/QUOTE]

9. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Sorry for the hijack,but Canada is sounding more like New York everyday with all the taxes!

10. DeVries

DeVries PlowSite.com Addict

You got it wrong Grandview. We don't have a lot of taxes just one big one.LOL

11. Neige

Neige Sponsor

For commercial clients it wont make any difference. For your regular client,(home owner) just wait, they will be pissed. In Quebec we have been charging both taxes for a long time now. So a $300 drive goes up to $338.62 with the taxes. They have become used to it, they may not like it, but accept it. It hurt our business for the first few years. People have only so much disposable income. I am sure most of you increased your prices after last year. Now the cost just went up 8% for your clients with this new tax. They really don't care who's fault it is, they have to pay more. Now are you willing to add the cost of living to your price or just swallow it for a year or two. We finally increased our prices in the third year. We post the cost of the taxes in bold, so they see 38.62 of the price goes to the TAX MAN. What a hair brained scheme, the timing could not come at a worst time for you guys. I feel for ya

12. dellwas

dellwas Senior Member

Don't know bout stateside, but income tax first reared it's ugly head to raise money for the war effort. Can't remember if it was the First, or Second World War. In any case, it's been with us ever since!

13. Bajak

Bajak Senior Member

I quote some jobs including tax. I just accepted (verbally) to plow one of my current contracts for the same money next season. Thankfully that particular contract/quote didn't include tax. That situation may have brought about some unnecessary squabbling.
    That seems to be the Canadian way.

14. dellwas

dellwas Senior Member

Ya, except for the lucky stiffs in Alberta, no provincial sales tax!

15. grandview

I believe it was the Indians wars when it first started.payup

16. Bajak

Bajak Senior Member

You mean back when you could buy Manhattan Island for a fist full of beads? ussmileyflag

17. grandview

Yes. And the beads were made out of rubber and bounced!

18. DeVries

DeVries PlowSite.com Addict

Ha HA Ha nice it'll take a while to whip the grin off of my face

19. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

You might have more then that to wipe off if GV used the beads. :D

20. grandview

Holy **** JD! Oh wait,is that what your talking about?:eek: