1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

can you swap plow motors?

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by yardsmith, Nov 17, 2009.

1. yardsmith

yardsmith Senior Member

hey gang
    I have 2 westerns, & will keep one & sell the other-one is a unimount with electric (wiring) controls, & the other is a Pro plow that has the cable controls piped into the motor.
    Is one more desirable than the other, or more reliable? I'm thinking I'd rather have the elec controls vs. the cable controls.
    Next question after that would be can I swap the motors between the 2 plows? I'm keeping the Pro & selling the unimount, because its bigger. So which control style is 'better'? thanks
  2. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

The electric valve pumps are much more reliable and easier to service than cable pumps. Motors should be straight swap.
  3. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

depending on how old the cable pump is, the motor and pump may have to be swapped together.

and i vote for the cable pump as far as reliability goes. whenever i have a problem (which is rare) it's always a simple fix that can be done at 3am. my brother's unimount electric pump sees half the use of mine, yet has more issues. could be operator related, but i have great faith in the cable pumps.

but the electric control pumps will bring more money as most people don't want to deal with the cables.
  4. yardsmith

yardsmith Senior Member

anyone else? its 50-50 now; BTW I would swap the whole motor & pump as 1 unit if I do......
  5. yardsmith

yardsmith Senior Member

6. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

I'll second the motion for the electronic Isarmatic Mark IIIA :drinkup:
  7. snow tender

snow tender Senior Member

Electric controls has my vote. The motors will fit. I have a spare that came off a early 80's fits my unimount. Nice to have a spare.