1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Can you sub and have your own route?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Joel B., Nov 2, 2002.

1. Joel B.

Joel B. Senior Member
    from MN

Just starting out this year and have 11 driveways so far. My brother-in-law just told me about a good friend of his is looking for subs. I would want to plow my own accounts first but is the other guy going to want me to do his first?

Also, does anyone know the going rate for subs in MN?

Thanks,

Joel B.

2. edrenckh

edrenckh Member

CleanSweep pays ~$45. All commercial stuff. You have to plow when their trigger hits. You can do your own either before, after or both.

3. NoStockBikes!!

NoStockBikes!! Senior Member

I'm subbing for $50 for my neighbor's company. He told me a little anecdote about a guy who subbed for him who had an offer for $65 with a different place, and it pretty much boiled down to "Hey, is he gonna be calling you every time it snows, or just on the bigger ones when his guys are too busy" etc etc.

re: Their work done first: I would assume that would be the expectation, because they have the responsibility, and if you can't do it, they can hire someone else. SO, my take would be do their stuff, then work your stuff after/around it. Other variables involved, too, like traffic times on the sites, etc. But my opinion is that if you commit to subbing specific sites for the guy, then you should be sure to honor those commitments. If you can't then you've probably got your hands full enough with your own route. My 2 cents.

4. edrenckh

edrenckh Member

Good points! I will be subbing too, and have a few of my mow customers that need snow removal. Only a handfull. Most likely the subbing will be during off hours, after the stores, etc. are closed, maybe a push through during the day. A big storm may be long hours. I will do the residentials afterwards most times, unless I get a chance to do them before. Only takes a few minutes per drive on the driveways. If it's snowing, I'll have the cell phone for the sub contract call. They give ~2 hour notice, almost enough time to get them all the drives done. The residentials all are on contract, cleaned up within 24 hours after storm has passed. Of course I will be trying to do better. First year subbing, I'll have to play much of it by ear.

5. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

I subbed for a number of years as I was building my own route, you have to work to the G/Cs rules if you expect to be called back. My customers were aware of my situation and worked with me.

After a few years, my own route was making more money than subbing, so I quit that work and dedicated myself to my own customers.

When you're starting out, it's very tempting to accept customers from just about anywhere, but in order to make a high hourly rate, you'll have to keep your clients clustered.

6. greenquestlawn

greenquestlawn Senior Member

My sub has about 6-8 of his own accounts. His open later than mine so it will work out well as he does not have to leave till 8 am to do his.

7. John Allin

John Allin PlowSite.com Addict

If a contractor limits what his sub can do on his own, or deters him/her from working elsewhere - the "sub" has just passed the "you're an employee" portion of the IRS test.... thus, you can work for others since you are, in fact, and independent contractor. This is why Clean Sweep doesn't limit their subs to working just for them.

We have a local contractor here that put in writing that their subs cannot work for any other contractor...... and, much to his eventual surprise - that 'sub' is actually an employee (in the eyes of the IRS)......

Now.... if you treat subs right, pay them well, and have a good relationship with them - the odds of them going elsewhere go down quickly.

8. PINEISLAND1

PINEISLAND1 PlowSite.com Veteran

We have such great subs, and they are so valuable to us, that we make it very clear to them that we are willing to work around their schedules. I would rather have a couple extras, and schedule all drivers light, and then be able to offer flexibility. That way, it stays enjoyable for all involved, and you get more dedication from your subs. They know that any hours they are available, day or night during snow, I will put them to work.