1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Can you speed up the ultra mount plow

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by shovelracer, Dec 17, 2008.

1. shovelracer

shovelracer Senior Member

I have 2 identical ultra mount 8' pro plows. One moves noticably faster than the other. I was wondering if there is some sort of adjustment to maybe increase the pump flow or pressure. Or anything else I should look for. Thanks
  2. aquaman855

aquaman855 Junior Member

has anyone fixed this issue because i have an ultra mount w/ the same issue since new. mines alot slower then others.
  3. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

what kind of oil is in the plow?
  4. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

You can try adjusting the quill but I am not sure where it is. Look it up in your manual and see where and wjich way to adjust to speed the blade up. Try looking at the wesertn site under trouble shoot for further
  5. no lead

if it drops really slow it could be the quill. on the driver side of the power unit, below the lift arm. looks like a straight blade screwdriver type adjust.in for slow, out for fast.
  6. bean7654

bean7654 Member

I just bought an Ultramount and was wondering also if you can increase the speed of the blade coming up? I am using the recommended western fluid.
  7. sno commander

sno commander PlowSite.com Addict
    from ct

i dont think so you can adjust the drop speed but not the raise. mine seems to lift pretty quick, how old is the plow?
  8. WilliamOak

WilliamOak PlowSite.com Addict

if you tighten the quill too much to slow the drop speed that can also slow your raising speed. Id check that but if you're talking abou L to R quickness I'm not sure there is much you can do.
  9. AIMscapes

AIMscapes Member

Did anyone else have the issue of having difficulty raising your Unimount when stacking heavy snow in the last storm? Both of my Unimounts seemed rather weak, but then again the snow was really heavy.
  10. ppandr

ppandr Senior Member

Have four D D pumps, three work great and one is considerablely slower than the others. The only thing that I see that is different is the pumps being 2 or 3 piece. Having tried everything else I summize that the pumps are slightly different, older being the 3 piece.
  11. WilliamOak

WilliamOak PlowSite.com Addict

Mine wouldnt lift a full blade of snow, actually scared me until I got out and shoveled and realized how heavy the snow was lol. I actually had to back up a little from the pile to get it to raise up. You're not alone! lol
  12. drivefaster35

drivefaster35 Member
    from iowa

I had the same issue with my MVP plow last week with th heavy snow of not even being able to really lift the plow. I took it to the Western dealer to look at it and the old boy in shop (been a western guys for over 20 years) said the first generation mvp/unimounts, have that issue the newer ones are a bit faster but I guess I'm just screwed. I would even pay 4-500 bucks for something that would speed it up or make it stronger when dealing with wet snow.
  13. no lead

you could turn the pump pressure up.