1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Can you run kerosene with diesel ?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by shade111, Dec 29, 2004.

1. shade111

shade111 Junior Member
    from ct.

Just testing the waters about this idea.

2. fans

fans Junior Member

Kero / Diesel

Sure you can mix and run the two. Will void your warranty and probably scorch your injectors but you can do it. Kerosene doesn't have the lubrication properties for today's closer tolerance injectors. Now, I'm sure someone is going to flame me that "back in the day we ran 50/50 kero diesel". It will work, but you'll damage the motor - but only the real expensive pieces.

3. Team_Yamaha

Team_Yamaha Senior Member

Kerosene is basically just #1 diesel. Around here all the fuel stations put a "winter blend" in the tanks, the blend is basically about 3-1 (#2-#1 diesel). You can run just kerosene but I wouldn't suggest it. I had to do is once when I ran my 03 out of fuel and had some kero in the bed, it ran but didn't like it, and the injectors liked it even less. Have since replaced mine with "mini-me's", and have the old ones around just in case, but I hope to never have to use them.

4. Dig-it Landscap

Dig-it Landscap Member

my friend that is currently in diesel tech school just went over fuels for 6 weeks. he says that kerosene can be run through any diesel motor because all it is is a more refined diesel with a lower pour point temperature

5. Blizzard Plower

Blizzard Plower Junior Member
    from Il

Kerosene is a sulphur fuel

Diesel fuel is Kerosene and oil

6. sgthawkusmc

sgthawkusmc Member

Why would you want to? Kero is about $2.50 / gallon around here right now anyway.

7. shade111

shade111 Junior Member
    from ct.

In ct. kerosene is 1.90 and diesel is 2.37.

In ct. kerosene is 1.90 and diesel 2.37. It is crazy !

Last edited: Jan 1, 2005
  8. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

Karo, Jet A, diesel #1 are about the same. if you do have to run any of them add a Qt. of ATF for lub. Here in Alaska it is comman to mix @ 50/50 for a winter blend to keep from jelling.

I run Jet A quite offten in my off road stuff because it sets out in the cold and in 20 plus years I have never had to replace any fuel related parts. Just make sure it is clean and add a bit of ATF.

9. charlieg

charlieg Junior Member

no not crazy

kero 1.90 no road taxes its a off road fuel, diesel 2.37 on road, taxes added to the price.