1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Can you run HID's on a truck with a Western plow?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by mossman381, Feb 24, 2010.

1. mossman381

mossman381 2000 Club Member

I would like to upgrade to HID lights but I am unsure they will work with my western plow. My truck has 2 bulbs. One for high and one for low beams. And the low beams stay on when the high beams are on. My plow has one bulb for both high and low. I don't think that will work with HID. Anybody have any experience with this? Thanks

2. 06Sierra

06Sierra PlowSite.com Addict
    from Maine

I assume you are talking about putting hid lights on the plow. Sorry, I'm not fully awake yet! You can get hids that have high and low, someone on here has them. Or you can just get the low beam hid. Most people that have the low think that is enough and high beam isn't needed on the plow. If you got the high/low hids you would have to undo the quad lights on your truck.

3. mossman381

I want to put HID's on my truck. But I am thinking it is going to wreck my plow lights when I put my plow on.

4. 06Sierra

from Maine

How could it wreck the plow lights??? Truck lights don't come on when the plow is on. I have HID in my high beams with no issues to the plow lights.

5. mossman381

I have never installed an hid kit before. I take it you plug it in after the plow harness? I just want to do my low beams and fog lights on my truck.

6. 06Sierra

from Maine

Just unplug it at the bulb. That plug goes to the ballast and the ballast pugs into the hid bulb. If you go to ddmtuning.com you can see the install instructions there.

7. mossman381

I guess that solves that. Thanks for the info.

8. jb1390

jb1390 Senior Member

The western light setup is very similar to the blizzard light setup that Alaska Boss converted. He has forums on conversions for his truck, boss plow, and blizzard plow-check those out they are very informative.

9. 02DURAMAX

02DURAMAX PlowSite.com Addict

I have Hids and it works fine.