1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Can you run a backhoe pusher on a loader?

Discussion in 'Pro-Tech Sno Pushers' started by RLM, Feb 24, 2008.

1. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

Can you run a backhoe pusher on a loader or will the loader tear it up? Are there differences in construction (other than height), does the loader model use heavier gauge steel, etc.?

2. gordyo

gordyo Senior Member

I run my 12' Pro-Tec on both my John Deere 310G Backhoe and my John Deere 344H Loader

3. Mike S

Mike S PlowSite.com Addict

I know a guy has 14 backhoe pushers for his wheel loaders. No problems he says!

4. newlooklandscp

newlooklandscp Senior Member
    from Midwest

yes, yes you can. My buddy has a 14' backhoe pusher on a New Holland End Loader. Its shorter in height and weighs less. He originally had the 14' loader pusher but seemed to be to heavy and would cause the tires to spin.

5. cjm8232

cjm8232 Member

You can but the backhoe and skid steer pushers are not as robust as the loader pushers. The loader pushers have more bracing to withstand the greater heft and force applied by a loader. And yes, the loader pushers have 4' sideboards vs 3' for backhoes.

What I am saying is if you are pushing a backhoe pusher with a big Cat 914 or Case W14 or something along those lines and you hit a real high manhole cover or curb or island there is a much greater chance that that backhoe pusher will be damaged as opposed to a loader pusher which will bounce right over that stuff since the loader pusher will maintain much greater rigidity in a situation like that with a large machine.

Hope I did not confuse things.

6. Stone781

Stone781 Member

what are the chances of putting a 10' backhoe pusher on a T300 to just push snow and not stack it?

7. redman6565

redman6565 PlowSite.com Addict

the difference is thickness in steel. i believe the loaders are built at 1/2" thick steel and the the backhoe pushers are built at 3/8" thick. it'll work just be careful and make sure your guys isnt slamming the pusher into banks, curbs, etc. because the weight of the loader is significantly heavier (obviously) than a backhoe.

8. redman6565

i forgot to post my question haha...

RLM, how did it work because im going to try that this winter?

9. snow game

snow game Senior Member
    from RI

I have used my 14' backhoe pushers on my loader, but a local dealer said not to use a loader pusher on the backhoe.

10. Little Jon

Little Jon Senior Member
    from Buffalo

You dont want to do a loader pusher on a backhoe because for a 14' pusher, your looking at about 800 pounds of extra weight that your trying to push and lift. 800 extra pounds of steel equals 800 less pounds of snow that you can push. The other reason would be that when you sit in a backhoe, typicaly your lower than that of a loader, and a loader pusher is a foot taller than a hoe pusher. So you have reduced visiblity if your trying to use a loader push on a hoe.

11. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

Redman, I'll let you know we just bought a 14' Protec (backhoe), it's on my Hyandai 740. They almost put the loader model on the trailer. They say the machine will push a 16' loader model. My brother worked for them, said it's not even worth trying to build (in house)one the are so cheap now.

12. LUCKY 7

LUCKY 7 Senior Member

so i shouldn't try to push a 14' loader model with my JD 310SE?

13. snow game

snow game Senior Member
    from RI

I wanted to buy another pusher last year when we were in the middle of a few storms, my dealer gave me a good price for a 14' "loader" pusher, but strongly recomended that I didn't purchase it, said it would cause the backhoe to overheat and if the pusher filled up, it would be too heavy, said it was too big for my 410E or 410 SG. I always admire an honest salesman!

14. LUCKY 7

LUCKY 7 Senior Member

Thanks for that info snow game. I guess I knew the answer but hoped someone would tell me something different. I was hoping because I can buy my friend's ProTech 14' loader pusher for around $1500, but if it's going to be a problem- not worth it no matter what.

15. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

Redman,
    It has worked out OK with the 14' Protec.
    The 10' ZM industies , I bough used, loader op. found a curb under 12" of snow, coupler blew apart, main push beam is tweaked slightly (about 1"), lip below push beam is a mess. I only have $ 1350 into it so I'm not that upset. Not his fault as we were called in after snowed, no staking, still sucks though.
    After comparing the 2 units, I wouldn't buy another ZM, not nearly as much steel as a Protec, more bracing, etc (more stuff to go wrong/fix), push beam is smaller. My brother & partner are crazy with work so it has to wait. Will require some work.
    I found another used 11' for now to go down the road with, has minor issues but works & price was right, once season is over, or things slow up. We will have to rework the smaller units.
    Once I get paid I'll get another larger pusher (thinking 16' loader) to leave one in each area. Operator seemed very happy with the idea of 2 large pushers. It sucks having a busy month, then people drag there feet in paying us, worst part is most demanding clients are the ones that still haven't paid. Not necessary the largest clients either.
    Don't think I would do it again (at least not with a ZM pusher), the Protec has been fine. When I started the season I didn't know if we were buying or renting the loader & wanted to make sure I could move the units with skidsteers if we didn't buy, we ended up buying so now that is a moot point.

16. redman6565

ya, i have a 12 ft protech on one of my 2-yrd loaders and it has worked out great. the machine has more balls than a backhoe but the pusher is strong enought to withstand the brunt of abuse from the loader